Chapter 1

It is Saturday, April 11th, 2015. It's only been a few weeks since we last met up.

It was almost like an instinct to call him as often as I could.

"Hello, Kate," he greeted, his lovely voice filling my ears.

"Calum!" I chuckled. "Hi!"

"So are you watching Britain's Got Talent tonight?"

"Of course."

We would always turn on our own televisions at home and call each other while Britain's Got Talent aired.

"... Oh," he hesitated.

"What? We watch it every year. Always," I laughed. "It's like our tradition."

"Yeah, of course..."

"You told me your sister's audition is being aired tonight, right?"

"Yeah."

"So that's why you left on that one week? For your sister's audition?"

"Umm," he paused. "Yeah."

"She's gonna be great. Since you were there witnessing it live, don't spoil anything for me, okay?"

"... Sure."

"Hold on, I gotta do something."

I carried the phone to my room where my only light source was coming from my laptop. As another side job I sold antique collectibles on my website. I scrolled through my feed to see if there were any interested customers.

"Oka-"

"She's on, she's on!" He cut me off.

I ran to the living room just in time. She sang the first line of 'Say You Love Me,' and Calum's cute, smiley face showed up on screen.

"You're pretty videogenic... Have I ever told you that?" I complimented him awkwardly again.

"Oh, thanks," he replied shyly.

Suddenly Simon stopped her. We both sighed in unison.

I'm not really a big fan of Simon Cowell, but I can tolerate him. This, however, is not one of those times.

"Aw, bless her," Calum said backstage on my TV screen.

"What happened? She was doing pretty well," I waited for him to reply. "Calum?"

"What?" He sniffed.

"Are you okay?"

"Yep," he cleared his throat.

The judges let her sing a different song, which was With Or Without You by U2. She was stopped again, only to be given four "no's."

I could hear Calum crying.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked sheepishly. I headed back to my room to find out that someone ordered. I searched for the figurine the customer wanted until I found the photograph of us, lying on the floor, catching dust. We were in the middle of a beautiful forest trail. His hands were wrapped around my waist, and our lips came together and touched. I remembered this memory clear as day; it was Jade who told us to pose like that, and she took the photo. Every time I laid my eyes on it, it made me tear up.

"Yes, I'm fine, I'm f-fine." He sounded like he was shaking. "L-Listen. I need to tell you something..."

I lowered the phone from my ear. I could hear someone singing on the TV in the living room.

"Somebody said you got a new friend..."

"Kate... Kate?" Calum's voice called out for me from the phone faintly.