10. Through the trapdoor

I was on my way back to the dormitory, when a familiar dark figure blocked my way. Snape emerged from the shadows, resembling vampire more than ever.

Damn it!

"Miss Swan, to my office on a few words!" Snape coldly said. "Now!"

I debated whether I should obey, then decided to better go and figure out what he is up to. Did he somehow found out about our plans? Or that we suspected him in attempts to steal the Stone?

"Have a seat, Miss Swan," Snape gestured to the same chair where I sat, during our talk after the first potion lesson. "It so happens that I'm aware that you, that is, you and your little Gryffindor friends are up to something, and it concerns the Philosopher's Stone."

My eyes widened like saucets. How the hell did he figured that? Of course, I immediately pulled an innocent face. "I have no idea what are you talking about, sir."

"Don't lie to me!" Snape hissed. "Professor McGonagall already informed me that you are aware of the fact that this legendary substance is being kept in Hogwarts. I also know that, according to your mind, someone is trying to steal it. I must ask you, what else do you know."

I merely shrugged. "I still don't quite follow you, Professor Snape."

Now Snape looked totally pissed. "Miss Swan, do not try my patience. You have no idea of where you're getting yourself into. If you don't care about your own future in this school, maybe you should think about your friends?"

"I repeat, I do not know what the hell are you talking about!" I snapped angrily.

Snape took a deep breath, then he pulled another chair closer and sat in front of me. He seemed concerned. "Miss Swan, if you really know anything, I must ask you to tell me. The situation is very serious. Any information you could provide me – "

"Sir, all I know is that someone let the troll inside the school at Halloween, someone has been trying to kill Harry during the Quidditch match by jinxing his broom, someone is killing unicorns in the Forbidden Forest to drink their blood which is unforgivable crime. That's all I know."

I did not told him that this someone might be himself, at least in our minds, however seemed that Snape came to this conclusion on his own. When he spoke again, it was obvious that he is barely holding back his anger.

"There's something you should know. Despite what you and your Gryffindor friends might so foolishly believe in, I would never do anything to betray Professor Dumbledore's expectations of me. I'd suggest you to remember that before jumping to conclusions. As for Potter, Weasley and Granger, I do hope that you will manage to keep them out of trouble since you're the eldest one among them. Now, go back to the common room or enjoy the day outdoors, just don't forget what I said!"

With that Snape practically pushed me out of his office, slamming the door shut, leaving me totally stunned. What the hell was that supposed to mean?

"That was interesting," I murmured under my nose, when I was certain he cannot hear me anymore.

I spent the remaining day, reading my notes, searching for spells that might come useful tonight. Luckily for me, most of Slytherins were enjoying the sunny day, so the dormitory was empty. That allowed me to do a little practice with some particularly tricky charms and hexes, so when the night finally came, I felt ready for and prepared for whatever awaited us on our way to the Stone.

It was almost midnight. Everyone in Slytherin house already went asleep about an hour ago. As soon as I was left alone in common room, I quickly Disillusioned myself and sneaked outside. The corridor was empty, which was a good sign.