Chapter 28: Dignified & Drunk?

"I am sorry. So sorry." Nandini felt herself tear up, though she felt no reason to be logically upset by what had transpired. Overcoming the perplexed emotions caused by the suddenness of her leaking face, she focused on the logic and rationality of her response to a very riled-up and validly concerned friend," I am completely fine. Well, some would say I am a little drunk. But that does not mean I am not fine.
"Though I am sleep-deprived, that would not exactly categorize me as fine. I was hungry, drunk, and sleep-deprived, but now that is not the case. So, frankly, I have moved up in life. Did you just say it was one fucking a.m.?" But before Nandini could find or form these very rational arguments, she found herself spilling the unabashed truth and the more she said it, the better it felt.

Manik snickered as he heard Nandini make a long-winded speech, only three-quarters of which was coherent and ten per cent relevant. Nandini glared at him, half wiping the strange moisture on her face, before attempting to do better with her words again, "I don't think cops can help with insomnia, if they did, you know I would have tried them. I did have loads of time to try that last night. Again, one a.m., you said. How did that happen?"

"You are not funny. Stop. Was that a man behind you? What the fuck is going on Nandini?" Navya's voice still held the same concern with which the call had begun. Nandini found herself capable of holding onto her thoughts as she tried to focus on answering Navya's questions," You may be upset but that does not mean I am not funny. The mean laughter was Manik. He thought it was funny. There's your proof."

"Manik, as in the boss?" Navya confirmed.

"Yeah, the one we bitched about. Come on, you know the billionaire that- " Navya interrupted before Nandini could say more," Nandini, focus. Wait, you are drunk, today of all days." She said in an attempt to save her from tomorrow's embarrassment. A good friend.

"Honestly, should this not make you happy? You keep saying this is the way to live a little. Well, I lived a lot."

"God, Nandini. I do not want to, but you need to put Manik on the call. You are too far gone for talking."

"You can talk to him later; we will do this whole grilling session. It is like an interrogation, I will send you the questionnaire, don't worry." She whispered gravely as if she was conspiring to overthrow the government.

"Put me on speaker." Navya said, sighing.

"Hi Manik," Navya said politely.

"Hi, Navya; she is fine, just a little drunk and out of it. This is a recent development, believe me!" He said in an attempt to sound responsible.

"Okay, I will drop a pin to my location. Can you please drop her here?" She said concern etched into her voice.

"I have my own home," Nandini said abruptly as if the realization had just struck her. It was almost as if Manik could feel Navya holding her face in her hands and breathing a few quick breaths before she said with whatever patience she could muster, "I lied to your parents, bitch. Just shut it. Manik, can you please do me this favour? I will torture her tomorrow." Her voice switched from seething and threatening to apologetic and polite.

"Absolutely Navya!" Manik obliged, in the politest tone he could muster to hide his amusement at the scene. However, Nandini stomped on his hopes by quickly remarking," Stop laughing."

"Send me your location, Nandini. Now." Navya said sternly.

"God, you are such a stalker." Manik heard Nandini respond before he saw her doing just the same. Navya sighed, holding on to the call till she received it. Then, she abruptly dropped off. "Send me the location she sent," Manik asked Nandini, stopping the car on the side of the road.