8

Canada was going to be tough. They always look good, every cycle they give us a run for the title. And with the past events I wasn't exactly looking forward to the game. Tony had mentioned that I would be receiving a good amount of time this game to make up for the lack of productivity against the Serbians. Heading into the stadium was always a head rush. I needed to get my shit together and fast. I needed to make up for my lack in production these past few games.

I start with the instruction to not shoot. I was just to bag assist and while I don't agree with the decision it's not mine to make. I swing it out to bird for an easy mid range, followed by a great defensive block where I throw it up to Britt for an easy two. We leave the first quarter up 18. I was getting sat for the second quarter. I zone out until the fourth when Tony throws me in with the instruction to shoot. I come out quick with two deep threes, way past the men's line. I keep it consist throwing out assist like Oprah with cars.

This game was fun. By the time the buzzer went off we left with a great win 81-51 and no punches thrown from nurse. It was a rather productive game in my books. I found my rhythm and my confidence. It felt great to be back in my swing of things. No rush, no thinking, just a ball and basket. I knew we had China on the 14th, I'd never seen them play so I didn't know what to expect out of them but the rest day was what we needed all of us.

I head into the locker room with no one to toss my jersey too and shoot kell a quick text about the end result before hopping in the shower, washing my away the drying sweat. Rap played softly from a speaker as we got dressed and got briefed by Tony. Dinner would follow when we arrived at the hotel and recovery was in order but after that the night was for us. We had a team practice tomorrow at 11 since we were sharing the courts.

The bus ride was uneventful as everyone kept to themselves and their phone. Dinner consisted of dry ass chicken breast with somehow dry rice and even drier broccoli. Which was great- please not the sarcasm. When the sand holds more moisture than my chicken I don't want it. Kell hits me back with the news that the us lost on pks of all things.

I step out to give her a ring "hey kell I'm sorry."

"Nothing for you to be sorry for. It never should have got to penalties. We just couldn't finish."

"I know kell. You'll get it back. I know you're tired and yall get hell coming to you so eat and recovery. I don't play tomorrow so if you need me give me a shout."

"I will thank you. And I'll probably call you in a few."

"Im always here for you kell."

"Thank you"

The call drops and I head back in. I finish up my plate and we are all released to mobility, which is really just stupid yoga at a third of the pace. To me it's a waste of time but if Tony say jump I ask how high.

By the time mobility is released I'm ready to lay down. Kell texted if she could swing by. I type a quick yeah and jump up the stairs towards my room. I beat her by a minute and let her in.

She doesn't speak just walks into my arms. "It's okay kell. You worked your ass off." She just tightens her hold. "So where are you flying into after the games?"

"Why?"

"So I know where to book our tattoo appointment."

"You're serious about that?"

"100 percent."

"I'm flying into Atlanta."

"Perfect. I'm flying on there too."

"Are you actually going to make an appointment?"

"Yeah. Gotta get my rings. Now I just need to figure out where I'm getting them. You have any suggestions?"

"Where ever you want?"

"So my forehead? Or my neck? I mean right across my throat."

"Only you would suggest that. I'm getting it on my forearm."

"So no to matching forehead tats?"

"Definite no."

We spend the rest of the night shooting the shit before she heads up. The loss shocked everyone but kell wasn't exactly heartbroken over it, she was devastated and would be for a while. Everyone knew it wasn't Kelley who underperformed in the tournament. She was realizing slowly that the outside pressure and off the field issues were really the final nail for them.

It was a lot to be suspected podium finishers and then barely get out of group. It made it surreal for me. We've always been gold finishers only team ever to walk away from every Olympics with a top finish.  It made it real we had been breezing through the tournament it rocked me we had China next. Only thing I know about the Chinese is that they are masters at everything they do, camps from young ages you are your sport form the moment you are born.

DT came back and hastily got ready for bed leaving me staring at the ceiling for far too long. I wanted to ask DT just have a vet walk me through these things but I couldn't disturb her rest. This whole thing is built on how quickly you can rest and have it be impactful.

The fear sat like an elephant on my chest. Something wasn't right or I wasn't making it right. I don't know which and that freaked me out. Maybe it was my dad passing. Maybe im just not good under pressure. I don't know and I can't deal with it. Not here nor now.

-/-/-
Lowkey I got bored on spring break- if it sucks don't tell me. Peace out.