1st Story - Eirlys

No matter where I go, no matter what I do... I will fight.

That was the oath I swore to my lord nearly twenty years ago. Even to this day, I have never failed to fulfill it, and as my heart continued to beat powerfully, I dove deeper and deeper into the fray of battle.

Did my actions exist merely to fulfill the promise I pledged? No. They were more than simply a means to an end. More than just chains binding my soul. I swung my sword on my own accord. I drew and shed blood for my own sake. I lose myself in the violence of battle not for pleasure or for duty, but for my own sake. Even so, a knight is not what I am.

I am a knight.

"Then why is it that you don't understand our plea, Dame Eirlys!?"

I heaved a sigh for possibly the twentieth time that day. I thought the war against Kaslavna would finally allow me to return to the battlefield where I belonged, but much to my chagrin, I remained stuck here like a caged bird. At first, I accepted the position of knight-instructor with pride, seeing it as an accolade bestowed upon me for my achievements on the battlefield, but ever since I was appointed as acting headmaster, my tenure here at the academy was nothing more than a curse.

After all, I wasn't exactly a scholar nor was I particularly skilled when it came to clerical work. With Lady Viviane and Lady Rosaline gone, my burdens only exacerbated to the point where I was even relying on Bradley to help me. I could scarcely believe the fact that I now left vital documents in the hands of that musclehead, but either way, it was the only thing I could do to alleviate the heaps of bullshit papers piled on my desk day after day.

Yet, I continued to suffer from more and more inconveniences as each day passed. No matter how desperately I wished to be fighting my battles with a sword in hand instead of a pen and atop a glorious steed instead of behind an accursed desk, I would never receive my salvation. In fact, today managed to be an even shittier day than the previous.

And the reason behind that stood before my desk. Three pairs had gathered mere minutes earlier, barging their way into my office without even making an appointment. It was thoroughly annoying, but unfortunately I am Eirlys Innesheath, proud knight with the epithet of "Bloody Snowflower" and the one who repelled the fell witch Amelia with a glittering blade of pure frost. I had a reputation to maintain and a facade of maturity to uphold in front of these youngsters, as irritating as they were.

I turned my attention to the large windows behind me. There were still numerous cracks in the glass and a multitude of pieces yet to be repaired, but they served their function well enough. That is, allowing me to look outside and grant myself a much-needed but imaginary respite from the jail cell of my makeshift office.

The goddamned Sun's nearly set, I heaved a sigh. I should really be finishing up and done with my work already, but here they are again. These kids just won't let me off the hook, huh?

Reluctantly, I returned my attention to the fiery-haired girl standing in front of my desk. Incidentally, she was also the one who had asked the idiotic question which made me wonder why I still continued to live despite being relegated to nothing more than a desk jockey. Slowly and deliberately, I swept the sharpest glare I could muster around all the idiots who had gathered in my office.

Brigitte, Levant, Melindra, Lady Jocelyn, Esmeralda, and Nicholas.

Over the past few days, these three pairs have gone to incredible lengths just to pester me, and I had no idea why. Of course they were upset about their friends being sent on a mission so quickly, but I had set aside ample amounts of time during their first couple visits solely for the purpose of explaining to them the importance of the missions as well as why I made the choices I did.