Securing a Match

Agatha's POV:
It was insufferable, watching the Evers prepare for the Snow Ball. The girls were running around frantically finding the perfect dresses, as well as securing dates, whereas the boys pretended not to care - whilst secretly placing bets on who would end up with who. These mindless acts of vanity disgusted Agatha - the Evers seemed to only possess one collective mind - they were bees, buzzing around, helpless, but to obey the commands of their queen.
That queen was Sophie.
However, Agatha wasn't going to let Sophie's progress stop her. No, instead, she found herself resolved even further to work harder, achieve more, be better, brighter. And she was succeeding. Two days ago, Agatha had surpassed Hester on the leaderboard - therefore taking first place. When she broke the news to the Coven, afraid of retribution from their so-called leader, Hester had only sighed, as if she had only been waiting for this eventuality.
"Just don't mess it up," she warned, a deadly glint in her eye. Then she turned and strode away without another word, not deigning to look back, regal, even in the face of defeat.
It seemed that Hester's coven was back to its original status - a fact which Dot was no doubt overjoyed to discover.
Her friends had left her. Agatha was alone.
But she was also powerful; dangerous; intelligent;
Miserable.
Every class was torture for Agatha. What she once took joy from - cursing irritating children and shunning all things beautiful and light, she now dreaded with a burning passion. For what was evil without purpose? Why wreak havoc and cause disruption just for the sake of it? Just because Agatha was not a conventional princess didn't mean that she wasn't one at all, did it? Did bug eyes and greasy hair and a tendency towards mischief really decide a person's morals for the rest of their life?
Agatha shook herself back to reality.
What was she thinking? Questioning her morals, when she was top of the leaderboard, not for the School for Good, but for Evil?
Pull yourself together, Agatha, she thought sharply. You are evil. You have always been, and everyone has always agreed. There is no place for you in the school for Good.
Yet late at night, when she was lying in her newly deserted dorm room (the Coven had completely abandoned her, Hester could clearly not stand being in close proximity to someone who had bested her), Agatha couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if Sophie and her roles had been reversed.

Sophie's POV:
Sophie looked around the dining room with dread.
All around her were the sickening sights of boys proposing to girls for Snow Ball dates. It seemed that they had all chosen to do so the same way and at the same time, too. How unoriginal, she thought with annoyance at the many, open, displays of affection. However, this lack of individuality was not what concerned her. It was that no one had yet approached her. Especially one person in particular.
Tedros seemed to be pointedly avoiding her gaze as one by one, every single Ever boy but him lowered to one knee. He still did not look at her as every other girl gleefully agreed, to preoccupied with their own successes to care about Sophie's lack of one.
Well, this was not going to do at all.
It was sexist, really, that the boy was expected to ask the girl out. Why should it be so, when this so called "rule" was never actually enforced by any real authority? Who cared if she was breaching tradition? For all of her life, Sophie had only truly sought one thing.
To stand out.
So traditions be dammed. Sophie hoisted her skirts, rose from the bench she had been seated on, and strode purposely towards Tedros.
Everyone quietened, waiting with baited breaths to see what she intended to do. Tedros himself still seemed to be avoiding her, perhaps clinging to the futile hope that she was not actually headed for him, but instead the very attractive looking mouldy tree stump, situated slightly to his left.
He was wrong.
When it was clear that he could no longer ignore her, Tedros started up, as if he was attempting to run away, but he wisely seemed to think better of this open display of cowardice (it was a ball after all, and wasn't he supposed to be the heir to the throne of Camelot? He was going to have to tackle more important issues than one formal dance). When he finally, sheepishly , decided turned towards her then, Sophie was right in front of him.
"Teddy," she simpered, smiling a sickly sweet smile.
Everyone watched silently, not excluding the staff gathered around the edges of the space - for they too desired to see a future king go head to head with Sophie.
"Isn't it just so sweet to see all of these chivalrous proposals?" She said, eyes almost manic and smile now so agressive it looked more like she was bearing her teeth at him.
"Er.. yes, it's very nice," Tedros choked out, avoiding eye contact once more.
"Is there a reason Teddy, that you have not asked me to the ball yet? Everyone knows that we are made for each other,"
Somewhere in the room, somebody gasped. Nobody had expected Sophie to be so forward, although they all knew her statement to be true, for they looked perfect on paper - Good's star student and Camelot's future monarch. They were clearly destined for unification.
"And," she added, seemingly unwilling to make this point, but desperate enough to carry on nonetheless, "every other Ever girl has been taken. Surely, you would not rather go alone, and leave me helpless to the hands of the school's very harsh and frankly quite sexist rules!" Here, Tedros was caught, he could not go against his honour as a prince by refusing her now.
"Actually," a high voice cut in, "she is not the only girl left,"
Slowly, as if savouring the moment, Beatrix stalked out from the crowd that had gathered.
Sophie physically recoiled from the sight of her honey-blonde hair and topaz eyes, sparkling with menace and wicked delight - emotions that could only be compared to a predator, sure of its kill.
"Ever since Felix left," Beatrix continued, twirling a loose strand of hair coyly around one slender finger, "we have found ourselves one boy short. So, sadly," she shot a sympathetic look so false that it actually turned into a sneer, "an Ever girl will have to go without a partner."
Without a partner.
Sophie had never even contemplated the possibility of such an event before. Even if she could not go with Tedros, she had always assumed that there would be a veritable queue of boys, desperate for her hand. 
She had clearly been wrong.
"Tedros," Beatrix copied Sophie's previous tone flawlessly. "Would you like to go with me to the ball? I know that it is improper for me to ask first, but I make it my goal to abolish prejudiced ideals inherent in our lives,"
Sophie scoffed, surely Tedros would never go for Beatrix and her superfluous vocabulary - even thought she had technically managed to wrestle in and ask Tedros before her.
"Yes, Beatrix," Tedros grimaced, as if he felt he had no real choice in the matter, but he did as was expected and responded.
"I would be happy to be your date for the ball,"
Beatrix squealed - actually squealed, when she threw herself onto his arm, so called feminist ideals flying out of the window as she expressed her gratitude to him for not leaving her alone.

Alone.

Sophie had no date. No-one had wanted her and thus no-one had asked her. Only two final questions remained. They burned so brightly that they nearly consumed her whole, threatening to drag her into the depths of their fiery chasms.
Why, when everyone else had been paired, had she been left out?
What was it that the world saw in her, that she herself could not?