⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀𝒙𝒊𝒊. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐫

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞
━━ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒓

It had been two days since the Halloween party and the things at the Duchamp household were quite tense. Juliette had ended up applying early decision to her local university, much to her parents' dismay. Even though she would have loved to apply to an Ivy, she knew that she had very few chances of getting in and she would rather not face the disappointment of being rejected. On top of that, she had lost her favourite sketchbook, they had barely rehearsed for the musical and Ricky was currently MIA.

    The only thing that the boy had told her had been that he had to make an urgent trip and that he would tell her all about it when the time came. Juliette worried that Ricky was shutting her out again, as he always did when things got stressful or difficult, but she also knew that giving him some space was the way to go.

    The day in school had been quite calm: because half of the student population was away visiting some university or other, their teachers spent the day playing already outdated films or reviewing material, which gave Juliette a lot of time to think. In a few months' time, she would be drowning in exams, rehearsing every free minute, getting ready for prom and graduation, going to uni... the sole thought of it brought her chills.

    "Hey, gingerbread," Juliette heard a voice behind her as she walked down the hallway towards Seb's coffee cart (maybe not the best decision for her stress but, you know, that was a problem for future Juliette).

    She turned around to find Ben's blue eyes and bright smile coming towards her, "hey, ocean eyes. How's everything?"

    "Oh, you know, same old same old. Quinn has just told us that she wants to film the whole remainder of the film today. She said it was her own decision but I'm fairly sure Mack and Gina have something to do with it."

    "Hey, I never got to ask you, how is it that you know Quinn?" Both of them walked side by side until they finally got to the crew's lounge, where Juliette smiled at Ashlyn and Big Red, who were talking at a table.

    "She's my aunt. Dad's side of the family."

    "Wow, that must be so cool, getting to work behind the cameras. Do you want something? My treat?"

    "Oh, yes please, just an iced coffee."

    "Done." She looked up at him before turning to look at Seb, who had his eyes fix on Big Red and Ashlyn. "Hey, Seb. Can you give me two iced coffees, please?"

    "Sure, Jul, coming right up. How are things? We haven't talked in forever. I heard you booked Gabriella!" he exclaimed, preparing their coffees and handing them out to them. Juliette took her wallet out to pay for them but Seb refused her money and told her it was on the house.

    "Things are great! And yes, you are seeing East High's newest Gabriella! Following in Nini's footsteps."

    "I'm super glad you're finally taking the spotlight. I'll be there front and centre cheering on you."

    "You're the best, Seb, and we miss you so much," she confessed, a sad smile on her face. "Maybe we can get together and chat sometime."

    "Sure, just message me whenever you're free."

    And with that, both teenagers said their goodbyes and Juliette and Ben sat down at a desk. The room was completely empty, with the exception of Ashlyn and Big Red, so they had no problems when it came to choosing one.

    "So... Ricky, huh?" Ben breathed out after some seconds of them just sipping on their coffees. Juliette nearly choked on her own, which prompted a laugh from the boy in front of her. "Yeah, Mack and Gina were talking about it earlier. Something about Dani?"