The Cat and the Mouse

I remember that day too clearly. How hopeless I was, as I lay pinned onto the trap. The air escaped my lungs every second that passed, leaving me into an insufferable state; darkness began to cover my vision.

Then, the next thing I know, I was laying on top of a furry creature, who walked into a bright and welcoming room. Gently, she set me down -- that's where our unlikely friendship began. The cat, named Kitten, saved me from my demise. The last animal you'd think who'd go out of their way to rescue a little worthless mouse like me. Oh, and we were great friends, too! Or, at least I thought so. For it took me a while to realize that, just like fire and water, we didn't match.

Now, did I find it weird that the second her other cat friends showed up, I was either completely invisible, or the main target for mockery? Of course. But I never let it bother me; and when I did confront Kitten about it, she burst into devastating sobs, (and I swear those tears of hers were powerful enough to extinguish any wildfire burning within me), which led me to feel horrible for even saying such things. How could I possibly ever think that, after all she's done for me? I ran out before the guilt consumed me more.

Suddenly, as I sat there alone, came a beautiful dove, propping herself next to me. "What's wrong, little mouse?" the dove asked. "Is there something troubling you?"

My eyes met hers, and within them I could see how genuine she was. "There is, except I'm not the one who is troubled -- I am the trouble."

"And why is that?"

Sighing, I began to explain my outburst with Kitten, and the whole time I expected to be condemned for it. Instead, she merely spoke; "I understand that Kitten has saved you, but does that give her the right to treat you poorly? I believe you should end things at once, for this is not healthy."

The dove had a point, but it still didn't change what Kitten has done for me; and ending things would only plunge me into even deeper remorse. Yet does that mean I could still let her treat me like a doormat? I knew it had to be done; and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. To walk away like that as she cried out her crocodile tears. I have to keep in mind that I did once consider her my friend; and even though it was as toxic as radioactive waste, I still ended up grieving the friendship when it ended.

The dove consoled me, and asked; "But what is it that you truly miss? Kitten herself, or what you had with her?" It made me think. As the dove flew off, she gave me one last piece of wisdom; "Don't mix fire and water -- for one will obliterate the other."