Uninvited Guest

Genre: Romance/Fantasy                   Rating: PG-13                            Author's Rating: B

Based on the Prompt:

I could start fires with what I feel for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stifled a yawn. This party was going on much longer than I had originally anticipated.

"And then just as the hounds began to track..." Alexi continued on with his story. He had been telling me about his latest hunting party for the last 20 minutes.

Twenty minutes of walking through the forest; twenty minutes of not finding the fox. Only now was he beginning to get to an interesting part.

I sighed and looked out to the dance floor. Couples swirled through the music as it swelled around the room. Others stood on the edges watching them.

My gaze stuttered on a man who was looking at me. I narrowed my eyes slightly in curiosity and he tilted his head. A small smirk dancing on the edge of his lips. Curious.

I blinked several times and turned back to Alexi. This was to be my life. Watching others enjoy the evening as I listened to the most boring story of my entire life. Only each night would be an equally boring story, some nights it may even be the same story.

I sighed inwardly. What was I thinking when I agreed to marry him?

A hand extended into my line of sight. "A dance, Princess?"

Alexi's voice stopped and he turned to see who the hand belonged to. It was the man who had been watching me only moments ago.

"And who are you?" Alexi asked.

The man retracted his hand as I stood up from my seat.

He bowed. "Just a guest. Filler at this point, but it seems odd that the lady of the evening should be seated on the edge of her own party instead of enjoying it in the center."

His eyes bored into mine. Swirls of cocoa mixed with honey.

"What makes you think she isn't enjoying the evening?"

The man stifled a chuckle. "I have no doubt that your conversation has been most thrilling, but I fear the lady may fall asleep before the evening is over if she doesn't dance soon."

I tilted my head and the smirk returned to his lips.

Alexi turned to me. "I'm not one to dance, but we can walk around and greet the room, if you would prefer."

The man reached out again. "I do not mind dancing with her."

Alexi put a hand out in front of me. "I do not think so."

I settled my hand on Alexi's arm. "It's alright." I couldn't look away. "One dance."

The man bowed. "Much too kind."

Alexi slowly lowered his arm to allow me to pass. I placed my gloved hand in the man's. Heat radiated into my fingers as he led me slowly down the steps.

People stopped and slowly turned to watch us as we descended the stairs and onto the dance floor.

Once there I turned to the musicians and nodded. Then I turned back to the man. He bowed to me and I curtsied to him as violins began to play.

"Interesting." I mumbled to myself as I recognized the song they began to play.

"What is?" His eyes brightened as we stepped forward towards each other. I placed a hand in his again and his other arm went around me, pulling me close.