04 'Unexpected'

6pm

Student Residence

"Look at you, studying on a Saturday night."Chloe says from her bedroom to me sitting on the living room couch. I tune her out as I do some research on Dryden's history. So far I know it was founded by a wealthy  family called the Goths.

There's a mother, father, two children–both boys and black cat all posing in a picture. There are also some sightings of vampires in town but most of them seem to have fallen into the "conspiracy" side of the internet. 

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be reading after the whole situation in the night club and my place of work, but ever since seeing an actual entity up close and personal, my mind has been racing. Not because of his wicked handsomeness, but just the fact that all my life I've seen things that other people can't see. My aunt used to call me spiritually gifted when I was younger but now she thinks I'm crazy. It's another reason why she made me attend Dryden University so she can keep a close eye on me or whatever,  but I'm but I'm planning on transferring to a new university out of state next year. It's just an idea so far.

"Jade."

I turn around to see Chloe standing there with her hair done–the carefully chosen dress, the stylish accessories – she's clearly putting in extra effort.

"Where are you going?" My curiosity piqued.

Chloe turns to me with a grin, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Job interview."

I raise an eyebrow, not entirely convinced by her answer. "At 6pm?"

She chuckles, her expression shifting from playful to candid. "Okay, okay, it's not a job interview. I met this cute guy and he asked me out for dinner at this place. It's kinda hard to say no to that."

"Meeting people online, huh?"

Chloe rolls her eyes, feigning exasperation. "Yes I met him online? Got an issue with that?"

I laugh, shaking my head at her teasing. "Hey, I'm just looking out for you. Meeting up with random guys can be risky, you know."

"I've done my research. He's not an axe murderer or something, I promise."

I raise my hands in surrender, surrendering to her adventurous spirit. "Okay, okay, have fun, but please be safe."

"Thanks, mom." She smirks at me and I throw a pillow at her. She grabs her purse from the chair, her smile radiant. "I'll be back in a few hours. If you get hungry, there's some leftover Chinese in the fridge."

Chloe heads out the door and leaves me alone in our dorm room. I settle onto the couch, reading more on the history of Dryden. I let out a contented sigh. As the story unfolds on the screen, I can't help but let my thoughts wander. My mind drifts back to the café with the vampire. It's an image that's imprinted itself on my memory, a puzzle piece that refuses to fit into the rest of my life. But I push the thought away, not to let it consume my thoughts.

It's been days since I've been to the café, and have not seen the vampire ever. I guess there's no point in becoming obsessed with him. I stretch and yawn, the fictional world slipping away as reality settles back in. I glance at the clock, realizing it's time for me to shower.

With a sigh, I stand and make my way to the bathroom. The hot water soothes my muscles as I step into the shower, letting the cascading water wash away the remnants of the day. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, allowing the steam and tranquility to envelop me.

The warm water cascades over me in the shower, a soothing embrace that washes away the cares of the day. I close my eyes, letting the steam envelop me, the rhythmic sound of water creating a peaceful ambiance. But then, amid the serene symphony, a sound intrudes – a subtle rustling that tickles the edges of my awareness.