Chapter two: abandonment

~~Vivian~~ (current times)
Younglings: The future of the Jedi Order are… Loud, squirrly, out of control, and, for one of them, soon to be trapped inside of a cave with a frozen waterfall sealing their entrance. Almost all of them had found their kyber crystals and gotten out. All of them… except for one, Lyze Risk. He was bold and, being extremely talented in the force, most likely going to skip a few years of the ten year course all jedi had to go through. Vivian looked to the sky and wondered what was taking the promising youngling so long.

Vivian had struggled to find her crystal, but that’s because she had only been with the Jedi for a few weeks and was in too much of a hurry to find her crystal. However, she’d attempted to take it slow… like Master Yoda had told her. When she learned that she didn’t have much time left, she panicked and started running aimlessly. Turns out, the problem was that she wasn’t searching for a crystal that was like her. She was searching for the crystal that was like what Master Yoda had described. Once she allowed the urgency to get to her and started to panic, she finally sensed the crystal that echoed with her. Urgency, panic, hope, fear, and yet… it was still good, purifying, almost…

So… what was going on with Lyze? He might need help. Vivian didn’t want anyone else to have to deal with a mental breakdown mid-cave. Vivian picked up her pacing. The waterfall was slowly, steadily crawling down. “Master?” Vivian asked as she came towards the portion of her pacing where her master stood a few feet ahead.  Luna turned to face her nervous padawan, “Yes?”
“Shouldn’t we do something about Lyze? I- there’s no telling what’s happening in there. Not to mention the whole thing about the waterfall freezing…”
“Vivian, I assure you that Lyze will be fine.”
“But… he could get trapped for way too long.”
“Master Yoda won’t let anything happen to Lyze, I promise.”
“He said it’s impossible to break through it, though!”
“Hm… not everything is as it seems.” Luna smiled, “I myself learned that when I was a youngling getting my first kyber crystal. Do you want to hear about that?”
“I want to know that Lyze is safe! It’s ridiculous that we get kyber crystals from Ilum when it’s so risky!”
“...perhaps it’s quite simple to break through the water.”
“Then they’re using fear to… what, exactly?”
“I don’t know. You could ask Master Yoda.”  Frustration arose in Vivian
“Uruhhh… never mind.” Vivian went back to pacing back and forth. The pacing was faster this time. Luna simply looked to the fall knowing that pacing was her padawan’s way of coping with stress. It wasn’t exactly jedi like. In fact, it was more of a sith move than anything. The jedi focused on balance and redirection. Even the simplest jedi could push aside their feelings and meditate in the middle of battle. A sith prowled. This didn’t bother Luna, though. Afterall, if they had let Rael Aveross stay after all that his did and was, they could let Vivian pace a little.

“Maybe…” Luna considered, “Master Yoda, perhaps it would be best if my padawan could go in to offer aid to young Risk. After all, if he doesn’t figure out the waterfall… not to mention… Well, that.” Luna getured at her padawan who, by now, had made quite the compact line in the snow.
“Wise, you think this would be?”
“I mean, Lyze doesn’t seem to be the kind to focus on a crystal when he thinks that he’s going to die.”
“Go in, padawan Nyx may.” Vivian perked up and zipped to the entrance.
“ThanksMasterYoda!I’mgonnagonow,bye!”

Once inside the cave, Vivian called out through the force. While she couldn’t do many physical things with the force anymore, like moving stones, she always had a gift for sensing and listening to the force. Left. Right straight. Eventually, Vivian just let herself rush blindly as the force guided her. Just a little more… There! Lyze was huddled in a corner looking around at the wall. “Lyze! Are you ok?”
“I… Fine! Why are you here?”
“The… well, that’s not important,” Vivian’s voice softened, “are you sure that you’re ok? You seem… stressed out.”
“Fine.”
“Alright. I’ll just… go around this corner and wait then.” Lyze did not seem fine to Vivian.
“Wait!” Lyze called out in horribly concealed desperation, “How did you find your crystal?”
“Well… I… had a mental breakdown.”
“That doesn’t seem to be helping me.”
“Yeah… who are you on the inside? You don’t have to answer me, just think of the answer.”
“What if I don’t know who I am?”
“Just… try your best. Got it?” Lyze nodded, and Vivian continued, “now… Just imagine it. Make a connection. Like you would a wild animal.” Lyze nodded, and walked over to the wall before reaching up.
“There.” Lyze pointed up. “I don’t think I can get it, though.”
“Hmm… the crystals like to challenge their jedi… I think I know what your challenge is…”
“What?”
“You need to learn to let others help you. You tried to hide your struggles until you get it. So… Do you want me to get it for you?”
“Yes… could you help?” Vivian nodded, couched down, and reached out with the force. Something… was calling for her. Something sinister. Yet something good… Getting the hint, Lyze reached out alongside her. Together, they moved the crystal closer to Lyze. Once Vivian was sure that Lyze was focused, she quit pretending. Lyze could do this on his own. A look of pure joy crossed his face when he touched the crystal. Vivian, while happy for Lyze, also felt the need to rush him, “We really need to hurry.” Lyze immediately rushed off, and Vivian followed him.