Chapter 1

My eyes were becoming more heavy with each passing second. My mind was begging to slip as I was focusing on the road. I took a quick breath, knowing I had a teenager and a minor in the van. I quickly looked to the dash, finding a paper coffee cup. I grabbed it and shook it lightly, only to be disappointed when it was empty.

I heard a shuffle from the passenger seat, and I glanced with the corner of my eye, knowing that my nephew was likely waking up, even though it was the wee hours of the morning. He yawned and stretched his arms and legs. The crocheted blanket fell off his chest and into his lap. He then scratched his stuble and looked over at me tiredly.

"Are we almost ther- Yawn~?"

I snickered slightly and shook my head. He reminds me of my sister... God bless her soul. I became a little sad with remembering my only pure blood sibling. My sun to my moon, the Rose to my Blanch. I remembered her fondly, even though we argued, when she died with her husband. I fell apart, and so did my nephew. What made it worse was that he was in the car with them. He has a scar across his right eye to this day. I had sent him to therapy when I gained custody, and I had trouble raising his sister Ruby throughout college.

Though the years were tough, they were my kids. Even though I wasn't their father, I treated them as my own.

I looked back to the road. An old faded sign was on the road, and I felt I could have practically beamed at the sight of it. "Mooncreek, Fifty Miles." The thought of getting to our new home made me happy. Being able to get a shower and unpack would be a welcome sight. Along with getting the necessities at the store would be even better. I drove slightly faster, just wanting to stretch my legs. I then heard my nephew open his phone, then put on his headphones. I gazed into the review mirror and smirked as I saw my sleeping neice in her seat, a book in hand, her head slumped over. She was like her mother, with a large appetite for learning, but still acting like an idiot like her father.

I was hyper focused on the road, and with in no time, we saw houses, and then finally full streets of houses and stores. The town seemed old and dilapidated. The bricks old on the small hospital, and stoors, the shingles on the roofs faded. The town was peaceful in the early morning, and the sun now just peeked over the horizon, flooding the sky with bright hues of golden and blue.

The old houses seemed quaint and cozy. Some of which seemed enchanting. We drove down the road until I could find where our house was. The street came up, and I pulled into the avenue. I then counted the number until I made it to 1708, Winchester Avenue. I loved the house the moment I saw it.

The house was mainly made of red faded brick and was covered in stray vines that bloomed with red flowers. They weren't roses, but instead red spider lilies. I pulled up, and with the halt of the van, I could hear a small whine from the back. Ruby had been woken up, and she wasn't a morning person. She grumbled and pouted as she saw how early it was.

"Morning grumpy drawers." Christopher teased.

She huffed and puffed out her cheeks and grumbled.

"Now, now, little one, that's no way to say good morning." I chimed in.

She grumbled and unbuckled her seatbelt. Soon, Christopher did the same. I followed suit and got out with the house key in hand. I walked to the gate in front of the door gate and unlocked it, then unlocked the front door. I pushed it open to reveal a decently clean empty house. There were a few pieces of furniture in the living room, ab old leather couch, a worn coffee table, and a TV stand.

I walked to the kitchen and made sure it had the essentials. Oven check, fridge check, counter tops check. A small wooden table and four chairs sat to the side in a little breakfast nook. The walls of the house were a faded wallpaper with light blue swirls on the walls like creeping vines, and the floor was a worn-out mahogany. The kids were looking around, and I heard the toilet being flushed. He found the bathroom.