Chapter 14 - An Ultimatum

While Ranran and Shinichi remained at Professor Agasa's place, Sergeant Genzo contacted Agasa to ensure the two remained at home.

It wasn't possible to slip away, given the fat professor constantly ensuring neither of the two children escaped to search for Emiko. And the recent update of the search wasn't good, given that despite sealing every single road, they are nowhere to be found.

When Ranran offered to go, he barked at her to remain with Shinichi before hanging up.

The two children sat in front of the TV, while Professor Agasa had gone to prepare dinner for the two. It was an anime cartoon, but their minds were elsewhere. "Ranran, what are we going to do with Emiko once she returns? I mean if she really is a royal, we are going to be in serious trouble, are we not?"

And Ranran knew why Shinichi had every reason to worry. Everyone had spoken ill of how royal families are to society in the HQ. Although Emiko didn't seem disturbed or insulted by their choice of words, and though she may not share the same kind of privilege that befits any royal child of the 21st century, she may be secretly pretending and could've reported all of this to the imperial family, who may soon make their lives difficult.

Although they are living in the modern era where beheading is no longer an option, Ranran knows there are millions of ways a royal can make one's life difficult. A case point is Queen Elizebeth The Second's mother in the U.K, who was at that time seeing someone else, but then somehow was tricked into marrying the Queen's biological father, a royal of the palace, which is how things came to an end for them.

That's right, one shouldn't underestimate the abilities of 'The Firm' back in the U.K. Although they are in Japan, Ranran and Shinichi are acutely aware of the potential complications that could arise from Emiko's royal background. The power and influence of royal families were not to be taken lightly, even in the modern era. The fear of repercussions weighed heavily on Shinichi's mind the most.

"If Emiko is indeed connected to the royal family, things could get very complicated," Shinichi murmured, his brow furrowed in thought. "We should kick her out of the association."

"She knows too many things in the association, doing that won't do us good. Just words to the press is enough to bring this association to an end." Ranran pointed out.

"Then what do you think we should do, Ranran?" Shinichi groaned towards her, "She is a huge threat to the association just by her association with the Imperial family! And she didn't even bother to reveal any of this to us when she was brought over!"

Ranran leaned back against the couch, her mind racing with possibilities. 

"I know I may be too much, but Emiko must be kicked out of the association." Shinichi decided.

"Are you not afraid of the intel business she ran back then before coming here?" Ranran reminded him.

"I don't care! I mean....then what? If we continue to keep her around, I don't know where her loyalties lie." Shinichi mumbled about his concerns as he slumped, "Don't get me wrong, she did us a lot of help for several cases, but this is something neither of us could go up against."

The founder sighed, knowing Shinichi was right. The situation was incredibly complex and delicate. They couldn't afford to take any risks, especially when it came to the association's security and integrity.

"I'll tell you what," Ranran decided, "When Emiko gets back, we are going to grill her."

"Eh?!"

"I told you before, I dealt with kids like them before in Edgewood Academy, even though I am a half-blood noble. I won't hesitate to go after a princess of a royal family if I had to keep this association running."