Chapter Eight - Riley

I didn't tell Tobi about what my Grammy said about my daddy dying that day at the retirement home. Of all the spooky stories I'd shared with her, that was the one that scared me the most. I'm not sure what caused her to stand up that day and say what she said. Maybe she had a premonition, or maybe she was possessed.

I don't know, but we visited every month until I was thirteen, and she'd hardly spoken since that day. Most of the time, she'd only mumble and stare blankly into space like she always did.

That's why, when I went to visit her the weekend before I started the eighth grade, I had all but forgotten about Grammy's warning.

"C'mon, Grammy, have some more mashed potatoes," I scooped a small bite and held it to her lips. She stared ahead instead of automatically opening her mouth like she usually did, almost like she was programmed to do.

It was just me and Mama visiting that day. Wes had dropped out of school and went to work in the oil field, following in Daddy's footsteps, I guess.

"I swear, everytime we're here they serve those nasty instant mashed potatoes. I'm sure she's sick of 'em." Mama snubbed out her cigarette in the ashtray and started for the door. "I'm gonna see if I can find her something else to eat."

I laid the fork down on Grammy's plate and pushed the tray away from her. "It's okay if you don't want that. Mama's gonna try to get you something else, okay?"

The doctor once told us that she could hear us, and maybe she could understand us, even with her memory leaving her. I still felt strange talking to her, though. It was kind of like I was talking to the empty room instead of her. She was right there, I know that, but it was sort of like it wasn't really her anymore.

I studied her face as she stared straight ahead at her black and white television. There seemed to be no life in her eyes, like she wasn't thinking a single thought. It baffled me how someone could be breathing, with a heartbeat, have their eyes open, yet not have a single thought. What was going on inside her head?

A clatter came from out in the hall, like someone had dropped a food tray. I perked my head up and looked toward the door to try to see what had happened, but whatever it was happened beyond the view of Grammy's doorway. I heard a woman curse, and then it sounded like they were picking up the scattered dishes.

Grammy laid her hand on mine, and when I turned to look at her she was staring at me with those same wild eyes as the time she'd warned me about Daddy, three years before.

"G–Grammy are y–you okay?"

She didn't say anything, she just kept staring at me with those crazy eyes. And she started licking her gums like old people do after they pull their dentures out.

"G–Grammy?"

She dug her nails into the top of my hand. "Did you tell him?"

"Tell who, Grammy?"

"James."

I grunted as it felt like her nails were breaking the skin, and I tried to pull away but she had an oddly strong grip for a frail old lady.

"He's gon' die!" Grammy hissed. "Stop him!"

"Grammy, please, that hurts!"

I finally pulled from her and jumped from my chair.

"Stop him, boy!"

She tried to get out of her chair as I backed toward the door. I wanted to bolt down the hall and scream for Mama, but what if Grammy fell? I'd feel like a horrible grandson if I came back and she was on the floor with a broken hip.