29. Wyverns

Pride walked me over to the other side of his castle. A side I haven't been before. His hand was placed on my lower back as he guided me forward. We had passed the stables and made our way to the edge of the forest.

"You're not secretly working with the rebels, are you? And you're going to hand me over?" I teased but Pride frowned. "Right, not funny. Sorry."

He slipped in front of me, his hands on my hips. "I need you safe, Ava." His finger grazed my chin, guiding it upwards before his lips brushed mine.

"It's beginning to sound like you care, princess." I smiled, gazing in his stormy grey eyes.

"Does it?" He grinned. The grin made my heart beat faster in my chest. "Must be doing something wrong then."

I slapped his chest and laughed. His grin of his broadened even more.

"Are you going to do something with your hands or what are we doing?" I trailed a finger over his chest.

His grip on my waist tightened before he cleared his throat and stepped back. "We're almost there." He said as he held out his hand. A smile tugged on my lips before I slipped my hand in his broad one. I bit my lip as he intertwined our fingers together.

I backtracked as I saw large black-winged reptiles sleeping on the forest ground. Wyvern. Like the one I saw before I was buried under the snow. I couldn't breathe. Panic was rising, I couldn't- I couldn't-

Large hands grasped my shoulders, Pride leaned down to catch my eye. "Breathe, Ava."

"I - I can't." I gasped, only breathing in short breaths, nothing going out.

He leaned close, his lips close to mine. I could feel his breath as he spoke. "Breathe. Please breathe, Ava." His hands shifted from my shoulders to my cheek. "You're safe." He stepped closer. "I need you to breathe."

But I couldn't. Even though my lungs were starting to ache, even though it felt like they might explode, I couldn't breathe. My vision started to blur, and I thought I might pass out before Pride closed the distance and kissed me. I gasped as he lifted me up by the bum and my lungs got air again. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. His hands wrapped tightly against me, holding me close to his chest as he kissed me deeply.

He leaned his head against mine. "You scared the shit out of me." He whispered. "I shouldn't have brought you here. Was it the snow?"

My fingers wrapped in his hair, and I nodded my head slightly. "Seeing them-" I couldn't look behind him but from the corner of my eye I saw them move around.

"I thought if you would see mine, you would see they aren't dangerous. I shouldn't have brought you here."

"I want to see them. I was just a little surprised, a little warning would've been smart." I smiled a little. Pride scowled and I placed a slow kiss on his lips. I was suddenly aware he still held me up from the ground, my arms and legs wrapped around him. I wiggled a little and he put me down on the ground, but he didn't let me go. I craned my head to look at him. "I want to meet them."

"Yeah?" A nervous but excited smile filled his face. It was a smile I hadn't seen before, and it made my knees weak. His hand found mine again and intertwined our fingers together. It was just a simple act, but it made my heart skip a beat. "I have five."

He walked slowly over to the wyvern but stood a little in front of me, protectively. There were three larger ones, all looking exactly alike. One smaller one and the last one was the smallest of the bunch, it leather skin dark grey instead of black. Pride opened a cellar door on the ground and took out of few large packets. The wyvern came closer but with a whistle, they halted.