Chapter 1

Author's note: Happy holidays! This will be a short story - max 10 chapters likely less than 1k words each. This is just a little au that's been floating in my head and been in my drafts since the summer lol. Enjoy this first short chapter.

SIMONE

Simone sits in the chair staring up at the ceiling. Her makeup artist set the concealer under her eyes as her stylist runs around the room piecing together the last details of her outfit. Of course she was nervous. She had been keeping a low profile and working on her next album. Finally she decided to release it out of boredom.

"Do you think people will like it?" I ask aloud.

"Girl, people have been waiting for your comeback." My best friend, Kia rolls her eyes.

Kia had been in my life for as long as I could remember. Well, ever since we were in daycare. You wouldn't see one without the other. No matter how many fights happened between us, When I blew up, I took Kia with me.

"I know I know... I just, I don't know. There are so many new artists out you know? I haven't put out anything in a while." I could feel my leg start to bounce.

"Boo, you were taking a much needed break. You've been around the world and back since you were fourteen. A lot of has happened since then. You should feel proud of yourself." Kia placed her hand on my bouncing knee.

Kia was right. I didn't know a time where I wasn't in the spotlight. I was nepo baby at best but I made a name for herself outside of being Robert Hicks' baby girl.

"I know but I am older now and yeah, I took a break and went to college , but even that was a mess." I blew out air.

"You got to be a normal person." Kia corrected.

"I know I know."

"You got to play a sport you always loved and not be Simone Hicks, this major R&B act who own best new artist at the Grammys who is only second to Leann Rhimes as the youngest."

"I get Ki, I should be more confident." I stopped talking to give my makeup artist a chance to finish.

I heard Kia continue snapping photos as she had been my photographer and mostly used the photos she took to update my social media accounts.

"If I don't tell you, who will?"

"Me!" Lando walks in the room, pulling his shades above his head with a grin on his features.

"That's because you worship the ground she walks on." Kia teased, motioning for Lando to push closer to me and smile for a photograph.

"She is my wife, I am suppose to do that."

Lando was a professional pitcher in the Major League Baseball association playing for the Padres. We met in college and it had been heated and on ever since then. He knew all the little things there was to know and always made sure his schedule fit around mine.

He had proposed two years ago while on vacation and we had been married for under a year. It had been a whirlwind and it was the one thing that was precious to me. He was precious to me.

"The reviews have been amazing, baby."

He had scrolled through a few of them earlier and there was not one bad review. Then again, Lando was always in my corner to give his unsolicited opinion on songs that made the album. The people needed to dance again and being a natural born dancer, I desperately needed to be in that element again.

"Thank you. I just know we have a tour underway and it's going to be insane."

I was looking forward to holding tour auditions and finding new background dancers like I did every tour so far. I loved being able to explore the world. This album was my most personable album to date.

"Should I set up auditions?" Her assistant Jaymee sat across from her.

"Pleaseeee." I grinned batting my eyes.

"Of course."

"How are you and Asher?" I inquired.

I would like to think that I knew my team well. I loved checking in on them and considered them family. The expression from Jaymee's face dropped as she looked at me then back at the iPad in her hand.

"Earth to Jaymee."

Jaymee was usually cheery, bubbly and expressive. This gave the complete opposite as I sat across from her. I rose her brow waiting. It wasn't that I meant to pry but this felt out of the ordinary.

"Um, can you guys give us the room real fast."

Nobody questioned her. One by one they all left leaving Jaymee and I by themselves.

"What's going on baby love?" I had pet names for everyone - it just stuck.

"Asher wants... a divorce." Jaymee looked like she was ready to burst into tears.

I quickly handed over a handful of napkins. Jaymee quietly thanked me and went on about how Asher was no longer present in her or her son's life. They had been married since freshmen year of college and life hadn't been the same since. I personally wasn't his biggest fan but who was I to judge.

"How can you write all these love songs when love sucks?" She frowns.

"It does suck but sometimes, it's the greatest feeling in the world when you find the right person that makes you feel like that. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was finding your soulmate." I did my best to offer her advice.

"Do you think you and Lando are soulmates?" Jaymee smiled wearily.

"I think so. I mean only time will tell."