chapter 2

Alana is shaken by the tears. This poor, traumatized girl. Alana can't even imagine what kind of life AJ has lived up until now. It is no wonder that she is so scared.  

"AJ, you don't have to hurt anyone else." Alana says gently, trying to convey that she's here for her. "You're safe here." She looks at the girl for a moment, hoping that she might get through to her. "Come here." Alana says, gesturing for the girl to come closer.

AJ comes closer, and Alana hugs her tight. The girl is so petite, small and thin. Alana can feel how tense and afraid the girl is. AJ doesn't say anything else, just allowing herself to be held by Alana. The doctor doesn't let go, just holds the girl firmly, wanting the girl to feel safe and secure in her arms. She's going to make sure that this girl gets the help she needs.

"Safe"

"It's okay, AJ." Alana says gently, hoping that her soothing tone is comforting to the girl. After a moment, Alana releases the girl from the hug, but remains close by. "We'll figure this out, I promise." 

AJ stays close to Alana, and doesn't move away. Alana is glad that the girl isn't trying to run or hide again, which means she feels at least moderately comfortable with Alana. This is good progress. If AJ feels safe with her, it will make it easier to communicate with the girl and figure out what happened to her.

"Safe"

Alana can see that AJ is still tense and scared, but this is a new development. She feels safe enough to say the word "safe." This could potentially be the start of something bigger. 

Alana looks at the girl and smiles softly. "That's right, sweetie. You're safe okay? I promise." She pauses for a moment, wanting to try something. "Is it okay if I ask you a few questions?"

"O'ay"

Alana takes a deep breath, ready to help AJ as best as she can. She just needs to know what happened. 

"AJ, is there anything else you remember?" Alana says, trying to get the girl to tell her anything that might be helpful. "Please, anything that you can tell me? Do you know what happened to you, or if anyone else was involved?"

"Pain"

AJ's response makes Alana feel tense. The girl is clearly trying to communicate something important- she feels pain. "AJ, do you mean that you were hurt? Hurting you? Did someone hurt you?" It's possible that this girl is hiding a horrible secret, and Alana needs to find out everything she can about what happened to AJ.

"How we trained "

AJ's response terrifies Alana. The poor girl has had her entire life stolen from her. She was basically trained to be a killer since birth. Alana is beyond angry and confused... This girl's entire life is the result of abuse and manipulation. Was she taken from her family? Or was she raised with the intention of turning her into an assassin? 

Alana takes a deep breath, trying her best to stay calm. "AJ, who trained you? And how did they train you?" She says, trying to figure this out.

"Pain pain pain "
AJ's repeated response worries Alana, but the girl is clearly having a difficult time trying to talk about what happened. 

"Okay AJ, I get that you were in pain. I understand." Alana says slowly, trying to be as comforting as possible. "You don't have to say anything you don't want to. You're safe. Everything the doctors are doing is just to help you." 

There's a pause, as Alana looks at AJ. "Did you ever get to be a child?" she asks, wanting to see if AJ even remembers a normal childhood.

"No not aloud "