Madoka Meets Seven Gods (Spring 11)

XI.

"You did WHAT?"

Guild Master Luxgor sat in a stone bench created from Knotting magic and buried his temples in his palm. The Truth Guild researcher, Arudite was more than happy to give a full report of the exploits of Madoka and Audrey.

"It's true!" Arudite twirled. "She released the deadliest Wind magic I've ever seen, and cleaved the Ruined Forest trolls' heads right off!"

"That's right!" Audrey cheered. Why was she cheering for herself? Madoka shifted uncomfortably. "You tell him, Madoka."

"Yeah," Madoka spoke with a flat tone. Audrey danced around her triumphantly but was pinned in place by her maid.

"Ceghinort's blood, don't encourage her," Luxgor glared at the pair and ignored the Truth Guild researcher's reports. "We, no, I told you both to sit still while we wait for the Truth Guild's Arcane Division to properly scout the pollution in the town out—" He pointed at Audrey — "Specifically you. And you two just... walk in just like that!"

"Just like dat," Audrey repeated. She recieved a sharp glare from both Madoka and Luxgor.

"Is your head on straight?" He muttered. Audrey gulped, while Madoka found herself pondering over the same question. Luxgor directed his attention at the maid. "And YOU. You're actually fine."

"What? Nae waah!" Audrey blurted in disbelief that Madoka was off the hook, but before she could deliver a mischievous smirk of victory the Guild Master spoke again.

"Not, fine, as in less trouble! How are you alive? How did you survive in the Mist?" He asked, though his tone was quite demanding. "As far as my reports from Drezgor say, the mist suffocates those inside within minutes."

"Sir," Arudite interrupted him. "The mist had lifted, as stated in my writing here."

"Speaking of that," Luxgor flipped through the leaves of paper. "There was signs of a heavy concentration of monster magic within the City Hall. The sight of the desecrated place was disturbing."

"Oh, yes, quite," Arudite twisted a strand of her beautiful purple hair. "A severed ogre head surrounded by Cuckoo magic strands and piles upon piles of... dead settlers. I've called for the Night Agents to come and purify them."

Night Agents? Madoka guessed they must be similar to Night Operators.

"Purification?" Audrey asked. "Mist? Cuckoo magic? I swear I didn't study hard enough in the library for these..."

"Then you and I have much to discuss," Arudite lowered her glasses and eyed Audrey. The look was mischievous at best and seductive at worst in Madoka's view. "Come, come!"

She did not give Madoka room to keep her off of her princess before shoving her out. Audrey did not resist, and stayed the maid's wrath with a look as she followed Arudite out. Jealousy roared beneath her skin, but she was left alone with Luxgor in the tent.

"So," he sighed. "Feel free to explore the town at your own peril. The four you accompanied here are out there. I suggest you follow them to see how they explore. That means protect them, please. Speak to me tomorrow. Drag your master by the... nah, no ears. I'm sick of those already. Bring her along, too."

"For what?" Madoka asked, unable to keep the shyness from tipping her voice. Luxgor shuffled more pages beneath a tome and another odd board device that looked like the mana strand measuring device back at the Guild Hall.

"Your promotions, of course," he eyed her copper tag. Madoka had nearly forgotten about the trinket. "You will be Iron rank tomorrow."

After that, Madoka found herself outside. The camps seemed empty, so she figured the adventurers must be exploring the fallen settlement. She glanced at a larger tent near the gate. Its canvas was adorned with a large cross emblem upon it, with the Truth Guild researcher's own slave standing guard in front of it. Ilalune noticed her and gave her a glare for her troubles.