moonlight love | tito

october 15, 1972

The days had grown shorter, and the chill of autumn was setting in. It was the perfect time for a surprise birthday celebration, and the preparations had been kept secret.

Tito Jackson, the talented and charming member of the Jackson 5, was about to experience a birthday like no other.

You two had been friends for a while. You met him through LaToya because you and her had been best friends since childhood. You were 18 now, and she was 16, just a few years younger than you.

You had learned that Tito didn't really care much for birthday parties as he'd gotten older, due to the sad reality that he and his brothers never really had any, so he'd lost the interest.

When his siblings or you would suggest the topic, he'd just shut you guys down, saying he didn't need a party, but today you weren't talking no for an answer.

He was going to be 19, and although it wasn't a huge milestone like 18 or 21, you were still going all out for your friend.

The party was set at a beautiful lakeside cabin, and the moon hung low in the clear night sky. The soft glow of candles and fairy lights created an enchanting atmosphere on the cabin's deck, with the lake reflecting the moon's light.

You had been planning this surprise for weeks, and the moment had finally arrived. As Tito was blindfolded and led to the cabin's entrance, his curiosity grew with each step.

The guests, including the rest of the Jackson 5, were gathered, all keeping quiet to maintain the mystery.

Janet was behind Tito, leading him to where everyone was. She had told him that you and her wanted to do a magic trick for him and that he needed to be blindfolded for it.

"What's goin' on? Y'all play too much," Tito said, an amused smirk playing on his lips.

Janet hushed him and looked over at you with a mischievous glint in her eyes with an eyebrow raised as if to say "is it time now?". You grin and nod at her in response.

With a dramatic flourish, Tito's blindfold was removed, revealing the scene before him. His eyes widened in amazement as he took in the decorations, the shimmering lake, and the smiling faces of friends and family.

"Happy birthday, Tito!" everyone cheered.

As Tito was embraced by everyone, you couldn't help but notice the moonlight casting a gentle glow on his face, making him appear more radiant. Your heart swelled in affection and admiration.

You'd had a small crush on the star for a while now, since you both were kids. LaToya had been teasing you about it since the day she caught you admiring him the first day you and him met.

Tito had an amused smile as he laughed, throwing his head back and covering his face in disbelief. He rubbed his eyes and let his hands fall to his side, and you noticed his eyelashes were wet. He was crying happy tears.

"Are you guys serious right now?" He let out, chuckling as a single tear streamed down his face. He quickly wiped it, as if not wanting to cry in front of everyone, but you guys all comforted him nonetheless.

"Yeah, man, we couldn't go another year without letting you know you're special," Jermaine said with a smile, embracing his brother with a hug.

"Who's idea was it?" Tito asked, looking around at everyone, and everyone looked at you.

Once Tito and Jermaine release each other, Tito's eyes find their way to you. You can't help but smile, and he rushes over, embracing you in a gentle hug. "I should've known," he chuckled.