完璧

The foyer was dead silent save for pleasant humming as a young man scrubbed at the hardwood floor, sitting painfully on his knees and straining his back just to ensure it would sparkle when he was finished.

He had been at it for hours, but his cruel stepbrothers kept making it harder for him. The two other men had continuously walked around him after he started, wiping their muddy shoes all over and undoing his hard work.

Now, finally, he was alone.

"(Y/n), silence that infernal humming!"

His stepmother, Cecilia Doyle, seemingly appeared from nowhere just to yell at him.

"Y-yes, miss... sorry, miss."

She was gone just as fast as she had arrived, harrumphing her disapproval on her way upstairs. It was time for the twins' music lesson.

(Y/n) continued cleaning in silence, listening to the horrid sound of a terribly performed Für Elise from upstairs.

With all that racket, it would be impossible for Cecilia to hear him.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast alseep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams, and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true."

His mother, Angela (L/n), used to sing that lullaby to him every night... how he missed her sweet voice. His only wish was to have his family back. Unfortunately, that was an impossible dream.

Angela had died from a strange and fatal illness. His father had died in war, a mere few months after he remarried to Cecilia.

(Y/n) was alone with them now... and it felt like Cecilia hated him more and more each day. She was never a subtle woman. Not when it came to her opinions on other people, at the very least.

All (Y/n) could hope for was his freedom. If he could just escape Cecilia's clutches, maybe he could find his happy ending. That's all he really wanted...

The (s/c) man sighed when there came a knocking on the door. It was probably the milkman, meaning his outdoor chores were soon to begin.

(Y/n) stood and pulled the door open, meeting the eyes of a rather stout courier. The (taller/shorter) blinked (up/down) at such a well-dressed man.

"Important message from the palace."