chapter 8

chapter 8

       Kiro and I haven't been able to figure out anymore information about Angelica Craven, so we're at the point where we're probably going to have to give up on it. I don't want to give up, but I also know when to cut my losses.

       I just feel so bad for Boris not knowing what happened to his wife. I feel bad for Angelica likely having lived her last few moments in fear and pain because realistically, she's probably not alive anymore. But she still deserves justice.

       I know it's unlikely at this point that Kiro and I will find out what happened, but that doesn't stop me from constantly thinking about the disappearance case. There has to be something we're missing. Something the police missed. But it's something we can't think of.

       It certainly doesn't help that more people around town are talking about the ghost of Angelica Craven coming to haunt Port Orthos on Halloween, which is tomorrow. The more people that talk about it, the more I want to figure out what happened.

       But it's going to have to wait; if Kiro and I can actually solve it, that is. Our school is throwing a Halloween dance. It's not often that I go to school dances. In fact, the only dances I've ever been to were past Halloween dances and winter-themed dances. I'm just not a fan of large, crowded places with loud music, but I love Halloween enough to try to go to the dance.

       Besides, if I ever want to leave early, Kiro is more than happy to leave early with me and to find something else for the two of us to do. Last year, I only stayed for half an hour before I started to feel overwhelmed, so we just went back to my house and watched some non-scary Halloween movies.

       When Kiro and I get to our school for the dance in our princess and knight costumes, we have the choice of walking through a 'haunted hallway' before entering the gymnasium where the dance is being hosted. There's no way I'd be able to walk through it considering how much I hate jumpscares.

       Kiro also refuses to walk through the haunted hallway, and so one of the students running the ticket booth says, "Do you always have to do everything she does? I've noticed around school that you're always glued to her side."

       "Oh, no," Kiro says in a sarcastic tone. "That must make me an absolutely horrible best friend."

       "That isn't what I meant."

       "Right."

       The student just takes our tickets and points out where we can walk to get to the dance to avoid the haunted hallway. Kiro and I head there with me starting to wonder if it really is a bad thing that Kiro and I are always together. Surely, there's nothing wrong with it, right? I mean, it's rare for me to feel fully comfortable around someone. Kiro is the only person outside of my family I'm fully comfortable around so why wouldn't I spend all my time with him?

       There are already quite a few students at the dance but thankfully, the gymnasium is large enough to make it feel like there's still room to move and dance without feeling cramped. I might be able to handle being here a bit longer than last time if not to many other people show up.

       I look around the gymnasium, impressed with all the Halloween decorations as well as all the different costumes everyone is wearing. But the one thing that catches my eye is one of my favourite treats at the snack table. "Ooh, Kiro, look! The have caramel apples!"

       Kiro doesn't even have time to react before I grab his hand and pull him to the snack table so I can get a caramel apple. And not just a simple caramel apple. There are some with chocolate drizzle, chocolate cookie crumbs, mini marshmallows, and a lot more. I grab one with chocolate cookie crumbs, and Kiro grabs one with chocolate drizzle. We then find a place to sit down and eat them.