Is This The End Or The Beginning?

*four weeks later*
{LUCY'S POV}
Natsu and I have reached an awkward standstill. He no longer breaks into my apartment (which is good) and our conversations are strictly business (which is bad). I've now officially beaten the Tower of Despair up to the 149th floor boss. Mira is unkillable.

It finally snowed and the weather has gotten chillier. Perfect for the firm Christmas party.

Natsu's dad, Igneel Dragneel, went all out for his employees. There's a huge Christmas tree with tons of colorful lights and ornaments and tinsel. Everyone is mingling while eating snowflake cookies and drinking spiced eggnog.

Natsu and I end up next to each other. I look at him but he's not looking at me, then he turns towards me and I look away before he catches me staring.

I spot Mira who is watching the two of us with gritted teeth and clenched fists.

"Have you thought hard about what you did?" I ask, turning my nose up like I don't care.

"Every day." Natsu says.

We both shuffle awkwardly. Finally, I can't help it anymore. I want to go back to how we were already! "Geez, you're such a jerk! To think you made me fall in love with you twice!"

Huh? Did I just say I lo—

My face heats up. Did Natsu even hear me?

"You're under the mistletoe!" Levy-chan, red-faced drunk from all the eggnog, sings.

Levy-chan holds a long stick with a mistletoe on a thread on the end like a fishing rod. She totters and merrily swings the mistletoe above our heads.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" Levy-chan chants. Gajeel spawns out of nowhere and grabs her, carrying the drunk girl away like a sack of potatoes.

Natsu and I look at each other. Then we start laughing, until soon I'm doubled over.

"Do you remember Sting?" Natsu asks, wiping tears from his eyes.

"Of course! The flirty kouhai in your frat that stripped every time he got drunk! My friend Yukino totally had a crush on him forever."

"Yukino Agria? No way."

"Way! I thought she might faint when she saw him drunk the first time!"

"At the freshman initiation party, when Rogue was trying to keep him covered with a bedsheet?"

"And failing!"

The Christmas party and white elephant gift exchange is over before I know it. I get chocolate and Natsu gets a lump of coal.

We walk home together, since we're neighbors. Natsu wishes me goodnight and closes his door. I rummage in my bag for my key. It isn't here.

I knock on his door. "Natsu, can you break into my apartment for me? I'm locked out."

"Pffffft! Sure." Natsu comes back out and uses his master key to unlock my door, then opens it for me. I linger, not wanting the moment to end.

"Oh yeah!" He exclaims.

"Huh?" I look up.

Natsu kisses me. One second, five, twelve. I'm dizzy. I can't breathe. He pulls away.

He grins a toothy grin. "Because we were under the mistletoe together!"

Natsu retreats into his apartment, pleased with himself. My knees buckle and I fall on the ground in front of my open apartment door. I touch my mouth.

What was that?

What the heck was that?!

I finish my nightly routine in a daze. Then I lie in bed and then look at the headgear for Fairy Tail. Would Natsu log in right now?

I put it on and log in. I spawn in the Tower of Hope and make my way over to the Tower of Despair. My friends list says that E.N.D is logged on.

150 floors in one night? I can do that. I wonder what waits for me at the top of the tower?

I can't wait to find out!