Chapter 14: A Secret Link

As the cart moved slowly along the way to Alborch, the air was tense inside. Nicholas and Trea were seated opposite each other, separated by royal guards, looking down, but their thoughts were far away.

Nicholas broke the silence. "Trea," whispered the prince, his voice a trickle of air, "I must tell you something."

Her eyes rose to meet Trea's gaze. She was surprised by his intensity, but nodded to make him say it.

"I knew, from the beginning, that you were a woman", Nicholas admitted, his gaze in that of Trea. "I realized it shortly after we left the inn. But I never told anyone."

Trea stared at him with big eyes, his expression a combination of shock and fear.

Nicholas continued, his tone becoming more passionate. " And ever since we made that special bond during this venture, I've realized I'm in love with you. No matter who you are or where you come from, Trea, I want to be with you."

Nicholas' words made a knot in Trea's throat. She too loved him, but there were insurmountable obstacles between them." Nicholas, I have the same deep love for you. But circumstances are hostile to us. My parents would never allow our union. I became a failure for them, both as a princess and as a daughter."

Before saying another u interrupted by a violent tug from Zina.

"Take care of your words, "The Queen has a suitable punishment in store for you, Princess Trea," said the housekeeper in an icy tone.

The dialogue was broken, but the feelings remained suspended in the air. The nights of the journey back to Alborch were silent, with the two lovers sneaking around each time the guards and Zina slept. It was as if time stood still for them, and every moment we spent together was filled with passion and unspoken promises.

One evening, as the soldiers and Zina snored in their makeshift beds outdoors, Nicholas and Trea found themselves in front of a stream under the silvery moonlight. Its light cast a romantic halo on the surrounding environment.

Nicholas took Trea's face in his hands and took a burning kiss from her. But when they parted, she saw tears in Trea's eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked, concerned.

Trea felt overwhelmed by the emotions. " Nicholas, I have to tell you the truth. My parents aren't the ones you think they are. I am the daughter of Queen Beatrix and the King of Alborch, but I made them believe that I am dead. They have too much pride to accept what I have become. I am a failure as a princess and as a daughter."

Nicholas took a hand among her. "Trea, no matter who your parents are. After defeating a dark wizard together, how could we be afraid of the king and queen? I promise that nothing and no one will separate us."

The tears of Trea continued to flow, but this time they were tears of happiness. She hugged Nicholas, wishing that moment could last forever.

On the horizon, the dawn began to clear the sky, and the two lovers retreated silently to the camp, trying not to wake either the guards or the strict housekeeper. The next day they would face an uncertain future, but at that moment, they could only grasp the moment of happiness they had found in each other.