006. drowning

Dean, Ophelia, and Libby are sitting at a table in the diner. Dean is reading a newspaper, looking for a new case, chewing on his pen as he reads. Ophelia and Libby are both drawing on their kids menus.

"Can I get you anything else?" The waitress walks up, only looking at Dean. The pen stays in Dean's mouth as he smiles.

"Just the check, please." Sam walks up with Evie in his arms and Natalie behind him. Natalie volunteered to change the girl's pull up in the women's restroom since the diner didn't have one in the men's. Sam stood outside the bathrooms since Evie wouldn't go far without him after having to deal with him being away for a few days.

"Okay." Wendy walks away. Dean drops his head.

"You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean says. He points at Wendy. "That's fun."

"I'm fun." Ophelia says.

"Not that kind of fun." Dean says. 

Ophelia frowns in confusion.

"Here, take a look at this." Dean slides the newspaper over to the twins. "I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water -- nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean says.

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam says.

"And that's the cue for Aunt Natty to take these three little beauties to the park across the street." Natalie says, picking Libby up.

"But daddy." Evie whines, reaching out to him.

"Daddy has to talk grown up stuff that you don't need to hear. You should go with your aunt." Sam tells her, rubbing her head. Evie pouts, but she lets Natalie pick her up and carry her outside, the woman following Libby and Ophelia.

+++

Natalie had stayed in the car with the girls while Sam and Dean talked to the brother of Sophie Carlton. They're at the police station now and talking to the sheriff.

"Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?" Jake asks.

"You sure it's accidental? Will Carlton saw something grab his sister." Sam says.

"Like what?" Jake asks, the group walking into his office. "Here, sit, please." The siblings sit on the chairs in front of Jake's desk. Sam settles his daughters on his lap and Ophelia sits on Natalie's lap.

"There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake." Jake says, sitting down. "There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness Monster." He jokes.

"Yeah." Dean awkwardly laughs. "Right."

"Will Carlton was traumatized and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still, we dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there." Jake says.

"That's weird, though. I mean, that's-- that's the third missing body this year." Dean says.

"I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about." Jake says.

"I know." Dean says.

"Anyway..." Jake sighs. "All this... it won't be a problem much longer."

"What do you mean?" Dean asks.