Blind date

After breaking up with my girlfriend of almost five years and relocating to another state in pursuit of a fresh start, with new friends and a successful career in New York, the one thing I intentionally avoided was getting into a new relationship. For the past two years, I managed to divert my friends' conversations away from the topic of my relationship status. However, it became increasingly clear to them that if they didn't take some action, I would inevitably remain a lifelong bachelor.

My friends, noticing my reluctance to date, often attempted to trick me into going on double dates with them. Despite their persistent efforts, I always found a way to decline. One day, Mark, who I considered my best friend in the city, extended an invitation to a festival. This event was hosted for children by Mark's brother, David, who ran a publishing company.

David's company was not only about publishing; it was also about giving back to the community. He organized a special Literacy festival for children, aimed at encouraging them to dream big and continue writing, whether it was poetry, short stories, or even novels and screenplays.

The event took place in one of New York's neighborhoods. Although it was not far from the city center, it had the appearance of one of the disadvantaged areas. Growing up in Chicago, I had been exposed to neighborhoods like that, even though I resided in the city. I knew communities like the one where the festival was held, and it was an honor to witness someone making a positive impact in such a place.

David's efforts gave hope not only to the local community but also to the children who attended. They were inspired to strive for goodness in their lives and to come back to uplift their own people.

At the festival, I had the opportunity to meet a diverse group of people and thoroughly enjoyed listening to the children reciting their written works. It was heartwarming to witness David awarding them with certificates of participation and prize money in envelopes, recognizing their talent and effort.

However, amid the crowd, one person stood out to me the most. She was a lady who I believed was a part of the organizing team. Her beauty was captivating, even though she didn't adorn herself with fancy attire like many others. She was wearing a simple, elegant black dress and black stiletto heels, with her neatly braided hair tied into a bun.

For the rest of the event, I couldn't help but steal occasional glances in her direction, hoping for a chance to introduce myself or, perhaps, that Mark would find a moment to make the introduction. Unfortunately, neither of these opportunities materialised.

During the event, I overheard someone asking her if she worked for the publishing company. Her response intrigued me. She mentioned that her focus was more on community work, emphasizing her commitment to making a positive impact in her community. It seemed she was sharing her vision, hoping to connect with people who could support her organisation.

I couldn't fault her for this approach. After all, it's at events like these where one has the opportunity to create valuable contacts that might be helpful in the future.

That night, after catching a glimpse of her, I found it nearly impossible to sleep. Regret gnawed at me for not seizing the opportunity to get to know her better. Perhaps the sight of another man hanging around her, who I assumed was her boyfriend, added to my frustration.

I couldn't wait to return to my place and pour a glass of my favorite whiskey. I needed the warmth of the drink to help numb the sharp pangs of regret and longing that seemed to have been ignited, as if someone had just taken something precious away from me.

About a month later, while I was out with my friends, Greg, the determined matchmaker of the group, decided it was time to set me up on a date again. The conversation went on and on until I reluctantly agreed. I knew that if this date didn't work out, I could use it as an excuse to ask them to stop trying to find someone for me. I firmly believed that there was someone out there meant for me, and all I needed to do was figure out the right strategy to meet her.