Exile

Before I could blink, I was back down in the main hub of the camp, waiting by the reinforced gate.

I swallowed.

The gate loomed upwards intimidatingly, casting a long shadow over me and the camp behind me, where an excited hum was beginning to start up.

"They sign you up to forage, and then they don't turn up on time -" Jess hissed beside me, while she suffocated my hand in her hold.

"Nathalie! I'm so glad you could make it!" Jamie came skipping up to us. I could feel Jess tense beside me.

I nodded curtly and then turned to Jess to give her a kiss before Jamie briefed me.

When I turned to her, Jess gave me a small smile and straightened the collar of my worn desert kahkis for me.

"Be safe, ok." She commanded me.

I nodded, "Yes, captain!"

Jess couldn't help but smile at my playful antics.

I pulled her in for a kiss, reaching up to caress her cheek with my thumb, "Try not to have too much fun without me,"

Jess frowned, leaning into my touch slightly, "It won't be any fun without you here,"

Jamie coughed, completely cutting through our tender moment.

Fighting down the urge to punch him then and there, I kissed Jess one last time before stepping mechanically towards Jamie to stand to attention before him.

"Same drill as any other time you go foraging," Jamie briefed, holding out a sorry-looking rubble sack, "Just be careful -"

I snorted, taking the rubble sack, "What is there to be careful of?"

Jamie flushed with embarrassment, "Nothing - it's just Halloween... and there's a full moon tonight,"

I scoffed, "I'll be fine,"

It was Jamie's turn to give a curt nod. He motioned in the air with two fingers and a loud grinding seered through the air.

Slinging the rubble sack onto my shoulder, I stood ready as the oversized gate trundled slowly open. When it was big enough for me to squeeze through, I strode forward, ready to enter the wilderness.

I pulled my Foragers scarf over my head and wrapped it over my nose and mouth, Jess's scent flooding into my system.

"Good luck out there,"

I glanced over my shoulder at Jamie, who was still hovering near the gate.

"I don't need luck,"

Jamie gave me a familiar look; the one that said, "You're crazy,"

"Well- see you later then,"

The great wooden gate grinded to a sudden close behind me.

I looked across the darkening expanse of desert with my mouth set firmly in a single grim line.

Let's get this over and done with.