Human Behaviour

The next day, Erina was dead set on still going to the house.
"Erina, love, are you mad? We can't go back there! Last time we went we got chased by a werewolf and I almost got eaten by a pumpkin patch!"
"Robert, the old man who lives in that house is our best chance at finding something out about the horseman. There's no way that we can't!" Erina replied. They were sitting in the town's only coffee shop, steam rising from their mugs of hot chocolate and pastries lying on plates. The waitress walked over to take their empty plates, and when she heard the conversation she looked up at them.
"The house in the woods? That's where old man Joestar lives, and his grandson." She said.
"His grandson?" Speedwagon asked.
"Dr Kujo. He does Marine Biology studies. Used to lecture at the University of Portland, but he'd skip a lecture about once a month. Always said it was for health issues."
Erina nearly choked on her drink.
"Really? Multiple people live there? That's great! I mean... That's interesting."
She handed the waitress a $10 tip a thank-you, shouldered her handbag, and quickly left the cafe. Speedwagon followed after her, still clutching his pastry in one hand.
"Erina! Where are you going!" He called after her.
"The town bookshop! I'm gonna read up on Dr Kujo! I'll see you back at the Winnebago by 2pm!" She called back at him.
Speedwagon nodded, and headed back to the van. But first, he stopped off at the drugstore to get a little something...

"We're screwed! We're screwed!"
Polnareff paced back and forth on the ceiling, hands pressed to his temples.
"Polnareff, relax. When they next show up we should just stay in human form." Kakyoin suggested.
"What?!"
"Seeing monsters in this place twice is suspicious. Once is just bad luck. So, should they appear, we should pretend to be as human as physically possible." The kitsune said, brushing his red curl out of his face.
"You have a point... But what about me? How on earth will you explain a horseman with a flaming jack o'lantern for a head?" Jonathan asked.
"Detach your head, dim the flames, and put it in the vegetable rack. And your body... I dunno, can go in the linen cupboard." Jotaro suggested. "Good grief, why don't you just talk to those two humans?"
"Because what if they're not my lovers reborn? What if... Even worse... they're scared of me and they ARE my lovers? I need to wait for the right time to strike. If not, I'll have to stay wandering the earth."
Everyone in the room nodded. Just then, there was a knock on the door.
"Who is it?" Caesar asked. Joseph peered through the spyhole and gasped.
"It's the two humans! Oh my gawd!"

Night had fallen, and Erina and Speedwagon had taken it upon themselves to head up to the scary house again. It looked overhead like a bad omen, but Erina just walked up to the front door and knocked on it.
"Quick! Everyone act human!" Joseph yelled. Swift as the drop of a hat, everyone retracted tails, pulled on veils, or turned invisible. Polnareff plastered himself with foundation and blush as Jonathan quickly put his head in the vegetable rack, then got into the cupboard. Joseph opened the door a crack, and gave an awkward smile.
"Evening." He said, trying to play it cool.
"Good evening, sir! Me and my friend here are... journalists. Can we come in and ask a few questions to a Mr Joestar and a DRr Kujo?" Erina said.
"That's me! You can call me Joseph, doll, and the doctor is my grandson. Come in, fellow human!" Joseph said with an incredibly fake grin. The two humans walked in and sat down on the huge red couch, taking in the old mansion and its strange residents- which appeared to be a very thin redhead, a huge marine biologist, a man with tall hair who was covered in foundation, a veiled guy who was staring at some tarot cards, and Joseph. Erina got out her notepad and pen, and started taking notes.

"So, Mr Joestar, what's it like living in Windknight's Lot?"
"Oh, it's fine. Just fine. Very quiet and normal and boring."
"You've never seen something weird? Like a ghost? Or the Headless Horseman that's said to wander these parts?"
"A... Absolutely not!" The senior replied. "I made a fake photo of one once, but that's it."
Speedwagon turned to Jotaro, and started taking notes.
"You're a marine biologist, correct?"
"Yeah."
"Have you ever seen anything strange?"
"Nah."
"Do you know about the Headless Horseman?"
"Yeah."
"But you've never seen him? What with his blue hair and huge scythe?"
"Nah."
"You're sure?"
"Yeah."
Speedwagon put down his notebook and sighed.
"Well... That's everything. C'mon, Erina. Anyway, we've got to eat dinner soon." Speedwagon said, visibly drooping.
"What a coincidence! We're also eating dinner soon! A nice normal human dinner with no blood in it." Polnareff went to grin, remembered his fangs, and just sat there with a closed mouth smile that made him look like a frog covered in makeup.
"Um, bye?" Erina said, waving as they left. There was a huge sigh of relief when the door closed.
"We totally fooled them!" Polnareff smiled.
"What was that they said about my hair?" Jonathan asked from the vegetable rack. His body picked up his head, and turned it to face them.
"I dunno. But it's obviously not true, since you have a pumpkin for a...."
"Zeppeli said all those years ago that my true lovers would see my human head! And I've got blue hair!" Jonathan gasped. Danny whinnied from outside, and there was a strange silence throughout the room.
"HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!" Joseph cried.

Back at the Winnegabo, Erina sighed and poured herself a cup of tea.
"They're weird, but they're not monsters. Anyway, he said the photo was a fake. Guess it's back to square one..."
"But what about the wolf we saw last night?" Speedwagon asked.
"Why, there's obviously something strange about this town, what with the werewolf and the Headless Horseman. But I think..."
Just then, her phone rang.
"It's mum!" She gasped, answering the call. It would be 7am in England, but Erina's mother liked to wake up early.
"Erina..." she said in her cut-glass accent.
"Oh, hello, mother." Erina replied nervously.
"Are you still doing this monster chasing nonsense?"
"Why yes, mother, I..."
There was a sigh from the other end of the line.
"Honestly... All I want is a daughter I can be proud of, one with a nice house and a nice husband, but here you are... Driving around America in a van, chasing monsters and being friends with that... That... That cockney punk of yours!"
"Mother, please..."
"He's so in-your-face about the fact that he's gay! I don't know why he can't just settle down and..."
"BECAUSE I LOVE TAKING IT UP THE ARSE!" Speedwagon yelled down the phone. Erina stifled a giggle, whereas Erina's mother gasped, and shook her head.
"I am incredibly disappointed in you, young lady. You should be making real money, not filming ghosts and ghoulies."
"If you're so disappointed in me, why do you give me money?!" Erina snapped.
"Oh, my darling... I give you money so you can continue this monster nonsense, and to keep you far away from me, where you belong."
There was a click and the phone went as dead as the man who rode through Erina's dreams.