Chapter 9

August smiles as he sees the tall man fall to his knees to hug his son.

He made that happen. Sort of. He helped. He went from room to room, asking for their names, and a family is together again now because of that.

He can’t wait to tell his mom.

It’s easy to make his way back to the wing of the hospital his mom is staying in. The walls look very much the same everywhere, but after roaming the halls for hours he knows which stairs to climb and at the end of which hallway to turn.

He walks inside and to her bed. And then he thinks he must have made a mistakes, because that’s not Becky.

He circles back, makes sure he entered the right room. He knows in his gut he did but he still has to check. He tried to understand what the word outside means, he knows that it’s the same as before.

His breaths come faster.

“Mom?” he asks, his head whipping around the room.

Maybe they moved her. But he can’t see her, can’t find her anywhere.

“Mom!”

He walks around the room, not caring when people begin to sit up and stare, some with annoyance and others with pity. August is afraid of those looks.

His chest tightens. He just needs his mom.

“You!” he calls out to a nurse, before running towards her. “That was my mom’s bed!” he tells her, pointing backwards. “Where is she?!”

The woman presses her lips together.

“I need you to come with me,” she says. It sounds to him like a rehearsed phrase.

Like something she’s used to telling kids looking for their parents. She looks down at him like August feels people look down at wounded birds or a puppy before it gets put down.

I’m sorry about the bad news I’m about to deliver, the look says.

August's eyes sting.

“It was just two of you?” she asks, and August nods. He tries to keep it together. “Follow me, please.”

His feet stay rooted to the spot.

“Where is she?” He asks, even though he thinks he knows the answer. Dread turns his body to ice.

The woman presses her lips together again, and August hopes they stay like that just so he doesn’t have to hear. She shakes her head.

He’d thought he’d had enough of water already, but can’t help it when the tears start to fall.

He’s alone. They’re all gone and he’s alone.

He fought so much with his moms. He yelled at Freen -his first mom, the woman who saved him when he was a toddler and she was just out of college.

He didn’t want to come. He was stupid enough that he wanted to spend time with his stupid friends that he saw every day rather than spend time with his family.

His family…

He groaned every time he had to babysit Patricia. He ignored Billy asking him to play with him because he was too busy playing video games. It all comes back now and it rips through his chest.

And Becky…

His mom too. He didn’t call her that for so long for so many stupid reasons. He was an idiot. And now...