Storytelling Techniques - The Pillars

Since the beginning of time, storytelling has been practiced using words to convey a message, evoke emotions, and engage the imagination through a crafted narrative. These narratives can be used to convey significant themes and ideas, and they play a vital role in connecting the storyteller with their audience. In literature, they can be expressed in many forms, such as novels, short stories, poetry, and plays.

If you are here because you want to be an effective storyteller, you must master language, characterization, plot, and setting. You should have a thorough understanding of your audience and the message you are trying to convey. To do this, it's helpful to understand the four pillars necessary to building a good story and engaging your readers so they crave more.

Pillar 1- The People

Picture's Credit by  Franzi Draws/ ADOBE	The characters in a story are responsible for pushing the plot forward and captivating the audience

The characters in a story are responsible for pushing the plot forward and captivating the audience. They can be the protagonist, antagonist, and even a supporting character who helps the protagonist during challenging times. Regardless of their role, characters are critical to the story's success as they breathe life into it and enable the audience to establish an emotional connection with the tale. If you want to create compelling characters, it is essential to give each one depth and personality. 

Show your characters' strengths and weaknesses, what they fear and hope for, and the unique qualities they possess that make them memorable. A well-crafted character, one that stays true to the traits you give them, allows the audience to connect with them and remain engaged in the story until the end. Likewise, clearly defined relationships between characters are crucial as they can help to move the plot forward and reveal significant information about the characters themselves.

Dialogue is just as critical as creating memorable characters. The words your characters think and speak can be a powerful medium for enhancing relationships and for adding depth and nuance to them. You will want to make sure that what your characters say remains consistent with their personality traits, their history, and the circumstances they encounter.

By the end of the story, your main character should show growth. In literature, this is called the 'character arc'. If they start their journey as a timid person, perhaps someone who endures bullying, they should come out of the story with more strength than they came in with. This can be accomplished through their relationships and the obstacles they face along the way.

Captain Ahab's Evolution (a case study in character)