Chapter 58- The Redeemed

Ben looks up at the sky overhead. Despite the passage of time, it seems like the sky in this area of Mortis is perpetually dark.

After he appeared to them at the monastery, the spirit of Revan had led Ben and Rey from the monastery to a far region of Mortis. The two had asked Revan where he was taking them, but the ancient Jedi had remained mostly quiet and not given them an answer.

Now, they are approaching a small rocky hill. In front of it, they can see what looks like a volcanic fissure, with orange-red light pouring out of the ground. Revan strides towards the fissure and stops before it, where he turns back to face his two students.

"Come here, young Jedi. It is time for you to learn the principles that redemption can teach you," Revan says.

"What is this place?" Ben asks.

"This is the region of Mortis where the Son had his personal fortress. It is where the dark side is strong on Mortis. And in this fissure is what is known as the Well of the Dark Side, the spot where the entire dark side of the Force is channeled," Revan says. He pauses, then says, "Within the well itself, the dark side of the Force is so strong that even your grandfather, young Skywalker, was deceived by the Son and temporarily turned to the dark side before the Father erased his memory to turn him back to the light. We will not descend into it, but it is here that you will learn some valuable lessons."

"What do you have to teach us, lord Revan?" Ben asks.

"What do you know of my story?" Revan asks in return.

"You were once a Jedi in the days of the Old Republic, and led the Republic to victory in the Mandalorian Wars. You were then turned to the dark side and became the Dark Lord of the Sith, before your memory was wiped and you returned to the Jedi. You devoted your life to trying to destroy the Sith Emperor, and eventually helped in his final defeat. But the records of that period of your life are hazy," Ben says.

"You have the general idea," Revan says, a slight smile on his face. He pauses for a moment before he continues, "My path in the Force changed several times in my life. But, ultimately, I always returned to the light. Through my redemption, I learned several lessons, and gained the benefit of seeing the Force from all sides."

Revan pauses, clasping his hands behind his back before he says, "I am here to teach you some of those lessons, and perhaps give you some hope for your cousin. But I am not here to teach you on my own. There are others who have learned these lessons I have. They did not learn in life how to manifest their spirits to most, but here on Mortis, they can."

As Revan finishes speaking, two more spirits begin to take shape, one on either side of Revan. As the spirits become clear, Ben and Rey see that one of them looks like a Sith pureblood, and the second is a human man, dressed in some kind of regal outfit, and with the left side of his face heavily scarred.

"Allow me to introduce my two companions in instructing you," Revan says. He gestures to the human, who is on his right, and says, "This is Arcann. The son of Valkorion and once the Emperor of the Eternal Empire, who turned to the light to stop his family's reign of terror over the galaxy."

"Welcome to Mortis, young Jedi," Arcann says.

Revan then looks at the other spirit alongside him. "And this is Praven, the only Sith pureblood ever to become a Jedi Knight," Revan introduces the ghost. Praven bows his head in respect to the two.

Ben and Rey are in awe at the three spirits before them. Revan smiles slightly in amusement before he says, "Come, sit. We have much to discuss." It's then that Ben and Rey see there's a small campfire a few feet away, with large stones for them to sit on set up around the fire.