Chapter 4

The next day, a nurse walks into my room holding a metal arm.

"We made it as light a we possibly could," she says

"We made it as light a we possibly could," she says. "It will still take some getting used to."

"When are you putting it on my stub?" I ask. She responds, saying, "The surgery is tonight. It will take a few days for you to recover from it." I nod my head and try to fall back asleep. It doesn't work.

The few hours before they knock me out for the surgery are agonizingly slow. It feels like years. Finally, they come into the room and give me something to knock me out. The next thing I know I'm in so much pain. My left arm hurts. No one is in my room. No one to answer my questions.

My concussion feels mostly better. Moving my head doesn't hurt as I look down at my new arm. It looks pretty cool. If it wasn't in so much pain I would try to move it.

A couple hours later, a nurse walks in. "You woke up early." She looks a little surprised. "How long has it been?"

"Two days since the surgery. Three days since we knocked you out. We ran into some issues during  the surgery lasted longer and-"

I cut her off. "What issues?"

"I'll let the doctor explain. He should be here in a few minutes."

I wait for a bit and just as the nurse said, the doctor came in, a few minutes later.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor asks. I tell him that my arm hurts. "That is normal. I'd be shocked if it didn't hurt."

"What happened?" He looks at me, confused by my question. "During the surgery, what happened?"

"Ah. Well, uh, we ran into some complications. Your mind did not want to cooperate with the arm. We had to make some adjustments."

"Adjustments? To my brain?" I ask, my calm voice surprising me. The doctor nods. "Nothing much. Just enough to connect it. It won't change the function of you brain or the arm, other than to help them work together. Your arm does have some useful features, though. There is a watch built into your wrist and room for modifications of your own. Your sister told some of our nurses that you like to invent and build things. If you don't want to add anything that is also fine."

I nod my head and try to process everything. It's a lot to take in.

The next day Arabella comes to visit. She tells me father came home and will be here when I'm released from the hospital.

A few days later, Father and Arabella come to pick me up. The doctor says that I need to rest for the next two days but should be fine after, to move around as I did before. We get into the car and drive back home. Arabella helps me walk to my room and lay down.

"I like your arm." She says. I nod. I like it as well and can't wait to make some modifications.

Father is leaving in 4 days. I get 4 days of freedom. Lavinia won't do anything to me in front of father. I still have chores but not as much. I can finish my robots and start working on my arm.