Past and Present

Artemis stood in the temple of Elsos, panting and nervous. When they had taken the mission to kill this monster, they had no idea it would be this strong.

Her familia were on their last legs, with Rethusa giving a rallying cry to the other. Artemis steadied her breathing and drew back her drawstring.

If this is where she died, then she'd make sure this calamity would feel her wrath. She loosed the arrow and watched as it penetrated where she assumed an eye was.

The monster howled in pain before turning its attention to her. It swung one of its vines at her, slamming into her side. 

Artemis went flying through the air and slammed into a wall, causing her familia to watch on in horror. Artemis slid down the wall and looked at the monster with blurry vision.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she watched her familia make a desperate last stand against the scorpions that had surrounded them.

"I'm sorry everyone. But it looks like this is where it ends."

Artemis watched as her vision grew heavy, and her head felt lighter and lighter. Rethusa kept firing arrow after arrow at the calamity, and its offspring. When the arrows ran out, she used her daggers. When the blades broke, she used her hands.

The other members of her familia were doing the same. They knew they were going to die and had accepted their fates. But they would take down as many of these monsters with them.

"Come on, keep fighting! Take down ten of them for one of you!" Rethusa ordered.

The Artemis familia was growing tired, yet they kept fighting. Artemis watched with teary eyes as her familia fought their final battle.

But fate had other plans for her and her children.

"GET DOWN!" A voice yelled.

It grabbed the attention of the monsters, allowing Artemis's familia to hit the deck.

"FUS RO DAH"

A strong force of wind slammed into the monsters, causing them to turn to dust. The calamity roared in anger as its children were killed.

It swung a vine at Bell, who sliced it in half with his giant greatsword. He shot forward at blinding speeds, cutting off one of the calamities legs.

He flipped in the air, avoiding its mouth and landing on top of its head. He flipped his sword and had it pointed down before stabbing the creature through the skull.

He used his lighting magic and used the blade as a conduit to cook the calamity from the inside. It roared in pain, trying to buck him off, but Bell remained standing.

It crashed into wall after wall, but Bell didn't move an inch. After another minute, the creature collapsed to the ground, twitching but still alive.

Bell jumped off the creature, taking his sword out from its skull, and landed in front of it.

"VEN GAAR NOS"

A cyclone of wind appeared from nowhere and shredded the calamity to pieces before it turned to ash.

Seeing as his job was done, Bell sheathed his sword on his back and walked over to Artemis. She watched as the boy no older than 14 approached her with a smug smile on his face.

She felt tears well up in her eyes, knowing that she and her familia were going to be alright. But also knowing Bell would make fun of her and hold this over her.

Bell crouched down in front of her. That stupid smug smile plastered all over his face.

"Don't say it," She thought.