Day 1

"Hi, this is Harley. What's your name?"

I heard the first words of my seatmate. Well, can't she even remember her seatmate's name? Not me, who is socially very awkward to even converse about little things.

The girl, Harley, looks a bit like she's from the old '90s. Her hair is nicely braided. Big eyes. Wearing glasses, and has a dark skin tone. And through her smile, one can say she is a good girl. Well, she seems to be nice, I guess.

"Hi, uh, this is May."

"You said you came from Thermos Central School, didn't you?"

"Yep."

"Do you know Cristina? She's from your school only in the same class as us."

Who is Cristina? I didn't know someone with that name.

"Uh, sorry, but I couldn't remember her."

"Oh, oh, it's okay. She failed the Junior High, Class 2 exam anyway and needed to transfer to another school, and that might be the cause of you not remembering her. But I still contact her, since she is one of my friends."

Well, the dark side of her hides behind her good girl smile. She is the type of person whom normal people will trust blindly by looking at her good girl smile and later regrets trusting her. So annoying!

"Well, do you have any hobbies?" She asked.

Uh, well, I don't really want to share my hobbies with someone like her, but still, I'll say two or maybe three to her, or it kind of seems to be rude. But maintaining some distance with her will be beneficial for me.

"Uh, yeah, I do. I love singing, photography, and writing."

"Oh, you like singing, too?"

"Yep."

"I like singing, too, and I earned a degree there, but you know what, I love cooking more!"

"Oh, I see."

Well, I did earn a degree in singing too, but talking about yourself like that, well, that isn't my style. Like, she's so proud of herself for making one. Well, I can also talk like her, but I want to make a reputation here since I'm new here and I don't trust anybody. Trusting is, for me, something that happens naturally over time. And I need time to trust people. Because of people like Harley, my trust has been gone for a long time. Now I am not in the category of normal people if you know what I mean.

And then, she started talking with other girls. Well, extroverts can only talk like that. Then, the girl she was talking to next waved at me, smiling, and I waved back and smiled. And I saw everybody started talking with each other except me and some other students, and the whole class looked like a fish market. Our bald teacher, who didn't introduce himself in front of us until then, went to the whiteboard and started writing something. I thought he would write his name on his board, but not the word 'ATTENTION.'

"STUDENTS! Attention, PLEASE!"

Why shout, huh? This is our first day!

"I suppose you all know what manners are, and in my class, no one can talk with anybody until asking for my permission."

Well, who made this rule though? Never in my life have I heard something as awful as that, that nobody can talk with no one in my class.

"If you all are thinking who made this rule, then remember, it's me, Charles, who made the rule. I'm a teacher here, and everyone needs to follow my rules, or you can step out of my class. I will not have any problem. But don't you dare gossip or be sassy in front of me because I don't like students like that. Be a gentle, kind, and good student that every teacher loves, like John. John, please stand up."

Well, who is John now? I turned myself and saw the boy called John. Well, he seems already to me like a knowledgeable person, but well, not that knowledgeable than me. However, he looks pretty gentle but who knows if he is?

"John is the school topper in the high school that you all gave exams in our country for enrollment in Senior High Schools. He is the topper in our school and got the 5th rank in the whole country. So, be like him, study more, and do not distract anyone who came here to study. But if someone came here to chat, gossip, or do something that is unlawful, then you can just step out of the class. That's all. Class quits here. Thank you."

Well, I guess that was a long lecture? I suppose what the boy's face will look like after hearing his praise from the strict teacher. I turned back to see the boy's face, and oh no, my eyes directly met his eyeballs. Can I hide somewhere already? I don't want him to know that I am looking at him. Please boy, stop looking at me! I feel shy, uh, yes, I have problems with those kinds of boys.

I immediately shifted my eyes to some other boy so that he would know that I am not looking after him, and then I went back to my previous sitting posture. Well, he looks kind of okay with whatever the sir had said. Maybe he got so many praises that he doesn't feel any difference between getting praised or receiving a thank you from his friend.

Till then, the whole class started talking again, ignoring the strict teacher who just announced such a nasty rule. Well, we all are carefree once in our school days, aren't we?

"May, meet her, she is Kshi Mien."

Harley introduced me to a girl wearing glasses like her, but her hair was cut short like a boy's. "Hey!" She greeted me.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Do you have psychology as your subject?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Good for me. I am a psychology student too, and I hope we will make good friends. Would you mind being my seatmate from tomorrow onwards?"

Wow, very straightforward.

"Uh, sure!"

I am happy. I got a friend in my new school. But don't trust her fully, May. But, not everyone can be bad. Well, let's see if I can get along with her from the next day.

And the day went by, introducing ourselves again and again to the other teachers and chatting with everyone. Well, that was a pretty long day, and the day ended like that. I went home on our school bus, waiting to see what was in store for me tomorrow.

***