Chapter 1: Childless Mother

A woman enters a dim auditorium, the stench of chemicals and humming of old machines fills the air. A vast unnatural darkness blankets the room, making anything indiscernible beyond an arm's reach.
Her name is Blazhe, an archkin, a living battery of soul energy, a god-like being capable of manipulate reality through her will. The machinery in this room drew power from a single archkin, the queen of the archgods. She's summoned her sister to discuss an important matter.

"Khueen, where are you? What do you want from me this time, you impatient wrench!" Blazhe yelled, her voice booming through the chamber. Shortly after, a gentle voice responds.

"I'm here, gracious me, calm down! I just had the lights switched off to not risk you witnessing  my work yet again". Blazhe scoffed "Hmph, petty, but it's for the best. Regardless— get to the point!".

"Yes, of course. The sooner you leave my sight, the better" Khueen replied, their tense exchange crackling like thunder. "But, I must say, I find it amusing that the world-renowned weaponmancer and watcher of a godless nation still follows demands from someone~".
"I said shut up and get to the point!"
"Fine, fine. You never said 'shut up,' but you are doing me a favor, so I'll play nice today~".

Blazhe and Khueen have a history of clashing like this. But until recently, they couldn't stay in the same room without devolving into conflict. Despite that, Blazhe follows her sister's orders for reasons even she herself is unsure of. Khueen continued, "Something came up with my last experiment and I need you to watch over him".

Afar, a large screen awakens to display the photo of a 5 year old boy. His short black hair cut at a length to show his reverse-colored eyes— black sclera and white pupils. Beneath the photo was his name: Grigori.
"When you make contact with the boy, you'll have two options: Continue watching over him, or dispose of him. Those are the only outcomes I'll expect from you".

Something about this task aches Blazhe's heart, but she brushes past the feeling. "Fine, give me the details''. Khueen chuckles at Blazhe's reluctant response. She steps forward out of the darkness; most of her body is obscured by a black wide-brim hat and its shadow. She reaches out a hand. "Good. Once I share all you need to know, please... go away."