Chapter Twenty-Three

Annie's eyes bugged, shocked. Surely he couldn't be serious, yet looked deadly serious.

"Once or twice, not actual work."

"I beg to differ so you will add my name. And it would look good on your resume," he added.

"What I did lasted a night and couldn't cope." She squeezed his hand. "There is no need."

His brows furrowed down, features tightened. "Why not?"

"Because I don't need it. I do Richard's, showing what I did for the last eight years of my life if needed," she added.

His expression cleared, and warm dark eyes swept over her, warming her heart. "As you wish. And it was more than a night. Then what you did do to my schedule? Was incredible. Even Tarek could not do it. He was blown away by your work and ethics. His reference would be greater than mine, so we add that to your resume, not that you will need it."

"Shakeel," she moaned, placing her forehead on his arm, and also claiming his arm with her free hand. Then looked up at him. "What do you mean, I would be financially independent?"

"As my bride, you will get a dowry that, if anything happens to me or we separate, which will not happen, you will be financially safe. That will be given to you on our wedding day, to be used as you see fit. Spend as you wish, without question."

Her mind boggled. "And how much does that involve?"

"Enough to have financially independent for the rest of your life." Her lips parted. "Before you say you did not earn it, it is a part of who we are, our country, no special treatment. Also protecting the crown."

"My money so don't need to look to you for it," she nodded in agreement.

"Beloved, what I have is yours, which has nothing to do with the crown. I have my own money."

"And you spent your father's money in the casino?"

"Yes, no, I repaid it."

"No more of that to impress me, okay?"

"If it wins you over, then I would triple the amount."

"No, you won't. I don't need to be won over, Shakeel," she said, squeezing his arm. Annie already was. His eyes glowed with approval. Leaning in to kiss her forehead, finished their drinks and left. They headed back to the hotel, where Shakeel turned his phone back on, allowing them to have time without being disturbed, having an overload of messages ping after another.

"Sweetie, you need to see to that," she pointed at the phone.

"I know," he sighed as they approached the reception desk and collected her dress and accessories, more than just shoes. He also organised a car to pick her up and take home, both staying downstairs until she's picked up. Her clothes upstairs were brought down. "Sorry, but this," he waved his phone, "will take up the rest of the day," he said, opening the car door for her, where she placed her belongings inside.

"I understand." Straightening, she reached up and touched the side of his face, tracing with her fingers over his stubble jawline that bristled against her touch, zinging through her. "See you tonight," raising on her toes, planting her lips on his.

She hated leaving him.

Lowering in, the door closed, and she was driven back to her parent's place, already missing him, her hand on the dress box at her side.

Soon he would leave her again, breaking her heart.

Arriving back home, for now, Annie rushed to her room and removed the dress to hang, not showing anyone now. She wanted to surprise them, and went to join them for a light lunch, then went for a walk to the nearest park, settled on a bench and looked around, taking it in.