Chapter Thirty-One

With Peter at her side, Annie found it easier without Shakeel, only in passing. Not cooking as much, even though she still planned to go ahead with a three-course dinner with both sides.

Her mother also seemed in a better place since Peter had arrived.

Days filled with laughter, spending nights watching movies and eating popcorn, that made the nights easier also, not hanging out for that call, which never came.

Their presence has now been requested by Shakeel's office.

With Peter at her side, Annie waved everyone down as they entered the outer office. Shakeel's assistant outside his office stood and opened the door. "You are expected, princess."

"Thank you, Hassan." Tarek had his own office, seeing Shakeel's needs behind the scenes. 

Shakeel needed many assistants to run the palace.

His father was passing on more duties upon him, preparing him to take over, when the time had come. It's agreed upon, that his father would step down, not at his death, when he was ready and Shakeel would take over as ruler and head of their country.

One that needed to be married by then for a steady transition of heads, even if Shakeel was a favourite amongst his people and those he deals with, standing from behind the desk as they entered.

"You summoned my lord?" Annie teased, entering his office.

"Please sit down," he waved at the two chairs in front of the desk, then took his own. 

Peter crossed over to do so, Annie not so sure, entering further, hesitant, standing behind the chair, clasping the back with her hands. These so-called meetings hadn't been in her favour, and there was something serious about Shakeel that put her on edge, mind racing frantically over events, only coming back to what happened in Australia.

"Annie please," he offered the chair again with his hand.

"Not until you tell me what this is about?" She looked at Peter. "Is there another reason Peter is here? Is this never going to end?" Shaking her head, she took a step back. 

Sighing, Shakeel rose and circled and leaned against his desk, arms crossing.

"We have a problem that needs to be sorted out, involving both of you." Her lips parted, and his hands rose, stopping her. Her eyes narrowed. "First, Peter's invited to the wedding, already planned."

"That is true," Peter added. "Just brought forward."

She looked from one to the other. "If this is how my life is going to be, I'm not sure I can do this," feeling vulnerable.

Shakeel stiffened and straightened.

"Do what? Us? This isn't about you. It's about the palace and how we are perceived. These," he reached for a yellow envelope, not wanting them to be shown until he made it clear it wasn't about Annie personally. He had been correct in being concerned about her reaction. She had been through so much and should've never been this hard. 

All from outside influences.

Annie charged across and removed the envelope and opened it, removing the photos and flicked through, then waved at Shakeel.

"These are nothing," she hissed, tossing them on the desk, claiming her arm, stepping back, pain in her eyes. "I can't live like this. There are a thousand photos worse than this on the internet." His lips parted. He hoped not. "Not of me!" she hissed. "I can't do this," shaking her head.

"Annie, we need to sort this out," he offered his hand, which she glared at, stepping backwards.

"I'm done," she turned and walked out, leaving Shakeel shocked.