You Are My Sunshine

✩✮ "In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You - only you - will have stars that can laugh." ✩✮

"Cmon, sing!" Chalky poked Broomer's arm as he pleaded. "Nuh uh."

"Please??" Broomer sighed. "I already said that i'm never ever ever singing the song."

"..Please?"

"Oh my god, Chalky! Fine, we'll make a deal. I'll sing the song, BUT-" Broomer cut Chalky off, wiping the happy look off his face. "I'll only sing it on your deathbed."

"But how do you know I won't die before you?"

"Exactly." Chalky punched Broomer's arm and they laughed.

"Chalky, oh my god-!"

Broomer ran up to Chalky, who was curled up into a small ball. He looked weak, and was bleeding from a large gash in his chest. He groaned as Broomer lifted him into his arms. "Hey, babe, eyes open! Cmon.."

Chalky opened his eyes weakly, and leaned into Broomer, resting his head on his shoulder. "Good, look at me, look at me." Broomer sat on the floor, holding Chalky in his lap. "Look at me, you're going to be okay, you're going to be fine.."

Chalky shook his head and reached up, holding Broomer's face in his hands. "No.. not this time.." He dropped his hands and winced, curling in on himself again. "No, no. Look at me," Broomer pleaded. "You're going to be fine. You're.." Chalky shook his head again and closed his eyes. Broomer pressed his forehead to Chalky's, eyes welling up with tears. "Sing for me." Chalky whispered.

"Sing what?" Broomer was lost. "Sing for me."

Chalky turned his head, eyes stilled closed.

"..What..?" Broomer opened his eyes and looked at Chalky. "Sing.. sing for me. Sing the song."

"The..?" Broomer's eyes widened as he realized what Chalky was talking about. "The song. you promised, remember..?"

Broomer clenched his jaw and closed his eyes, taking deep breaths. "You are my sunshine.." He began. "My only sunshine. You make me happy.. when skies are grey.." Chalky smiled as Broomer sang. "You'll never know dear, how much I love you.." Broomer held Chalky close, as though if he let go he would disappear. "Please don't take my.. Sunshine away.." Chalky closed his eyes, lips curved into a consent smile. "I love you too." He whispered. He reached up and held Broomer's face again, and slowly, his arms dropped, his body relaxed, and he went limp.

Broomer was heartbroken. He felt tears stinging his eyes. "He's.. gone.."

Still holding Chalky, he let the sobs escape his lips. "You can't.. do this to me.. I still need you.."

He hugged his lifeless boyfriend tight and cried into his hair, and kissed his forehead, crying and crying. Why was he so cold..? Why wouldn't he wake up when Broomer shook him?

He couldn't feel his heart beating anymore.

He was with the stars now. Broomer looked up at the star freckled sky and let the tears flow. He reached out, as to grab his hand, to pull him back, but he held onto nothing, and his arm dropped again.

With the stars, gone, gone, gone.

「 ✦ Word count; 535 ✦ 」