Chapter 30 - True Intentions

"Wait, what?" Thea asked.

Ominis sighed and lowered his teacup to the table. "The more we encounter Clyde, the more I am convinced he is trying to become the most powerful wizard in the world. He's relentless. As much as I want to stop him, and stop the attack on Cragroftshire, I don't think the three of us have the capabilities to do so. Any attempts will be futile."

Sebastian nodded, then gulped. "What he said."

"Okay," Thea muttered. She twisted her hands awkwardly. "I'm glad we're in agreement."

There was a moment of silence until Anastasia's sharp laugh cut through the air.

"You guys are giving up?" she questioned, staring at each one of them in turn. "You're going to let him get away?"

"Obviously it's not ideal, sweetheart," Ominis responded. "I just don't see how we have any hope of halting his efforts at this point." He bowed his head shamefully.

Anastasia scoffed again, staring at her fiancé in disbelief.

"Look, you really can't be surprised that three Slytherins decided to be selfish and save their own skins," Sebastian argued.

"Oh, that's not what's going on here," Anastasia smirked at him. "You're giving up because you don't want her to get hurt."

She pointed an elegant finger at Thea.

"And you," she said to Ominis. "You're worried Clyde will come after me if you continue to intervene with his plans."

Ominis' breath hitched and his face grew pink.

Anastasia turned to face Thea. "And I'd bet galleons that your true motive involves not wanting to jeopardize the futures of these two." She titled her head to the boys. "You three aren't being selfish. You're trying to protect one another," she declared.

The room was full of guilty, uncomfortable faces.

"Say what you will about Hufflepuffs, but we're good at reading feelings," Anastasia continued. "Now, I'll be the first to say that by letting Clyde get away, you'll be putting each other in even more danger. I doubt this man is the type to forgive and forget, and you did throw a real wrench in his plans."

"It will be difficult to stop him," Thea interjected. "He's capable of really dark magic, not to mention we'll be quite outnumbered if we go toe to toe with his men."

"It sounds to me like you managed to take out a good chunk of his brainless goons using a bit of dark magic yourself," Anastasia said to Sebastian with a raised eyebrow.

Ominis suddenly stood from the table, knocking his teacup to the floor in the process. "Using Imperio on the troll was a onetime occurrence because we were in a dire situation," he declared. "I will not allow us to stoop to Clyde's level by using any more Unforgivables."

Anastasia placed a gentle hand on her fiancé's arm. "Darling, by now you should understand that it's not the spell that makes a person good or bad, it's what its used for."

Ominis shuddered and jerked his hand away. "I can't—I won't," he stuttered. "Please, not again."

"You won't have to," Thea stated, ignoring the questioning looks from Anastasia and Sebastian. "We have a few days until the attack. We'll figure something out."

She grabbed a cup of tea and hurried back out into the hallway. She couldn't waste another minute not pouring over books in the library to learn more about the Caedis Curse and figure out a way to stop Clyde. Just as she stepped into the expansive room, Sebastian's hand closed around her wrist.

"Do you honestly think you can beat Clyde without using dark magic?" he pressed.

"I defeated Ranrok using only combat spells and ancient magic," Thea countered. Sebastian's eyes were flicking back and forth between her own. "I owe it to Ominis to try," she concluded.

Sebastian nodded sharply. "Then let me help you."

~~~

They spent the entire day in the library, only pausing when Anastasia demanded they eat and when Ominis starting snoring against the table.

"That's it," Anastasia declared. Ominis snapped his head up at the sound of her voice.

"—time is it?" he mumbled while wiping the drool from his chin.

"Time for bed," she said brightly, guiding him out of his chair and to the doors of his library. "Are you two turning in?"

Sebastian glanced at Thea, who was curled in an armchair balancing an enormous book in her lap. She didn't appear to hear Anastasia's question.

"Just a few more minutes," Sebastian answered on her behalf. "Have a good night."

He stood from the table he was working at and stretched his back. His entire body ached but he couldn't bring himself to complain, not when he saw the dozens of cuts and bruises littering Thea's body. The sight made his blood boil and he had to take a few calming breaths as he crossed the room.

"How's it going," he asked, trying his best to sound casual.

"Look at this," Thea said while thrusting the book closer in his direction. He had to lean forward to read it, putting his face next to her curious one. "In order to perform the Caedis Curse, Clyde will need to hold the dark artifact containing the soul of his last victim. You said that was most likely the dagger, right?"

"Right."

"This passage also mentions that the execution of the spell requires complete concentration," she explained, pointing a small finger at the book. "If we can keep his mind occupied for long enough, until we can get the artifact away from him, he won't be able to use the curse."

"This seems like one of those things that is easier said than done," Sebastian grimaced. Thea chuckled and he felt the vibrations from where his arm was touching her shoulder.

"It will certainly be a challenge," she sighed. "But I think we can do it."

Sebastian's eyes met hers and he suddenly felt like he was being suffocated by the sweet optimism that poured out of her irises. He struggled to find his breath as he glanced down at the soft smile plastered on her face. "How do you do it?" he asked quietly.

"Do what?"

"Stay so positive."

Thea's smile stretched even wider. "I knew a boy at Hogwarts who taught me a thing or two about not giving up."

His eyes narrowed. "I was doing dark magic," he chided.

Thea shrugged her shoulders. "You still never gave up. That was something I admired about you."

Sebastian raised an eyebrow. "So why did you agree with Ominis and me this morning? About giving up on stopping Clyde."

Thea glanced away and bit her bottom lip. "I guess Anastasia kind of hit the nail on the head there. You've only just been granted your freedom; I don't want you to lose it again."

A warm, fuzzy feeling swirled in Sebastian's chest and he felt his cheeks grow warm. "If—when we get through all of this..." He swallowed and forced himself to look away from her twinkling, blue eyes. "We should have another go at getting a butterbeer together."

A small smirk tugged at the corner of Thea's mouth and she blushed.

"Although knowing our luck, we'll probably be interrupted by trolls and serial killers again," Sebastian chuckled.

"I'd be disappointed otherwise." Thea grinned at him as she stood from her chair. Her hand brushed lightly against his as she moved towards the doorway. "Goodnight, Sebastian."