Chapter 19: Goodbye

Javen watched carefully, but no matter how good he was, few were immune to the Mangekyou Sharingan. He saw the fight; a brief moment of swords and kunai hit each other before Sasuke got the upper hand and pierced Itachi through the chest, pinning him to the ground. Javen's breath was choked up in his throat. He wasn't close to either Sasuke or Itachi, but he didn't want to see either die. He almost sighed in relief when Itachi, while dying, pointed to the big throne at the far end of the room.

There sat the actual Itachi. Javen could see the trick Sasuke was playing from where he stood in the room. Sasuke did take after Itachi quite a bit, both of them preferring to play tricks with genjutsu than fight with other techniques. If Javen hadn't seen the second Sasuke behind Itachi's throne, he would have thought that Sasuke had been in front of him the entire time, that the real Sasuke was the one to pierce Itachi through the chest. Itachi looked nearly regal on that throne; Javen might have told him to look out had he not promised the boys he wouldn't interfere.

"What do you want to know?" Itachi answered Sasuke's clone's false look of question and disbelief with a question that sounded like he was trying to teach Sasuke, "It's not over, but I'll hear you out."

"I'll say it just once-" Sasuke's clone started, but the other cut off the sentence, stabbing through the throne and Itachi's chest again.

Itachi's eyes widened, and all went still for a second before he let out a shakey gasp, blood bubbling past his lips down his chin.

"I need you to answer my question. The pain won't subside in your chest till you answer." Sasuke thrust the blade deeper as if to make a point.

Even from where he stood, Javen could tell that the sword wasn't touching any vitals but that if undrawn, the bleeding from the wound could be potentially fatal. Itachi seemed to know the same, sitting right where he was as if he didn't have a sword through his chest.

" You said back then if I awoke the Mangekyo Sharingan, there would be three, including yourself, who possessed its powers." Sasuke held firm, making sure the sword stayed still with the palm of his hand placed against the but of the handle, "The third person, the other with the Sharingan, who in the Uchiha Clan is it?"

"Why.." Itachi paused before continuing, "Why the curiosity about such a thing?"

Sasuke was blunt and matter-of-fact as he stared at the back of the throne with a glare, almost as if he was looking into his brother's eyes, "I'm going to kill him after you. That's why."

Itachi then tensed, his eyes moving to glance back; in a similar way that Sasuke was trying to look at his eyes, Itachi was trying to look at his little brothers. Then Itachi's eyes met Javens, and Javen sucked in a breath. He didn't like the attention that a dying man was sparing him when the moment should have been Sasuke's. Itachi's eyes didn't linger on him for too long before they returned to staring in front of him, his body relaxing as best it could again.

"Why?" He asked his younger brother.

"When you killed off the entire Clan, you mentioned the existence of another person. So the Uchiha you didn't kill was a co-conspirator. Even you could not kill the entire Clan alone." Sasuke was rational, and he did have a point.

Javen knew none of this and stood still, careful not to draw attention to him a second time. Itachi's lips curled into a fond smile as he heard what Sasuke had to say.

"Ah, I see, so you figured it out."

Sasuke gritted his teeth at Itachi nonchalantly and pushed the sword further, "Who is it?!" The infamous Sasuke temper was back, and the kid was losing calm.

Itachi didn't seem to care, however, and answered the question with the same casualness he had been talking with before, "Madara Uchiha." His legs still had yet to uncross from how he was sitting.