0. fresh blood

Cold.

That was how it was in the house. Cold.

A chill ran through the flesh and bones of her body as the girl laid on the barren floor.

The killer with a baby mask stood over the helpless girl.

With a knife perched above their head, in a striking motion, time seemed to stop for the girl.

Here, she lay giving up her life to a stranger. A man in a mask.

At this thought, desperation coursed through her. Her voice hoarse, she screamed.

"Please, no!"

Apathetic, the killer plunged their knife and the scene cut to a black screen.

"The first kill is always the best one."

"What? In what world?" A voice on a dated phone blared through its speakers.

Orion snickered and she spat out her answer, as if she'd rehearsed it a hundred times over. "It sets up the atmosphere for the rest of the movie. Based on the first kill, you can tell how brutal a movie can get."

The person on the other end of the line went quiet for a moment. "Mhm, sure. How did you come to this revelation anyways?"

"'Lots of practice. I've basically perfected my genius of scary movies; I'm thinking of becoming a film major."

A laugh. "At least you have your life planned out."

Voices resounded throughout the large, empty house. It was the first of October, a fresh start to a brand-new month, and Orion sat on the couch talking on the phone about the movie she was watching. It acted as background noise to the bustling energy the girl had bounding through her. A horror movie fanatic, and even more crazed for the upcoming holiday.

"Taurus, what are you gonna be for Halloween?" Orion asked excitedly, "I might go as Alice or something."

A chuckle emanated from the Nokia. "Hardy? You're obsessed with that scary movie."

"I'm obsessed with every scary movie," The girl stated, as a fact, "you never answered the question." She hummed, giggling lightly.

"I don't know, maybe you can conjure something up for me," the smile on Taurus' lips was evident through his voice, "I have to go. You know, finish homework and everything. Catch you tomorrow at school."

"See you."

With a press of a button, the call ended. Orion was left alone with the echo of the movie and a lingering smile on her face.

She remembered the first time she met Taurus, a distant memory of middle school. Treacherous lands.

Her face twisted in embarrassment, and then she smacked her lips together and swallowed, noting the dryness of her throat.

Suddenly standing up, she decided she needed a drink. Orion left for the garage, where they had a fridge which held all kinds of sodas, beer, and energy drinks.

She opened the tall, wooden door leading to the garage. Its hinges squeaked as she creaked open the door, flicking on the light. There was room enough room cleared out for a car, despite the fact it was vacant. Outside of that, there was only clutter and a variety of shelves. Bins stacked on top of each other, and Orion made her way through the makeshift maze to the fridge.

The cool air leaking into the garage settled across her exposed arms, leaving a trail of goosebumps in its wake. Coldness spiked through her, and the hair on the back of her neck stood up.