Midnight Ride Pt.1

The walk to the chief's mauri was quiet as Roxto allowed me to indulge in my new surroundings. I knew my family was fast asleep and missing all the village action. The fisherman of the village were untying the ends of fishing nets so the clan weavers could weave nets together to fit the body of the tulkun. Although Tonowari promised me safety and no fighting I saw the warriors gearing up and sharpening their weapons as they didn't know what to expect. Metkayina food was also being prepared as we wouldn't return until morning. I had spotted the body miles away by air so traveling by sea and returning the body would take way longer.

"We are here" Roxto said causing me to tear my eyes away from the village to a mauri located in the center of the island. I thanked him and we said our goodbyes as we parted ways.

Nervously walking up to the mauri I took a deep breath and entered. I froze in the doorway as I saw Tonowari, heavily decorated warriors, and Aonung sitting around discussing the plans for tonight. Noticing my presence they all turned towards me as Tonowari was the first to speak.

"I see you received and accepted my invite for the night Yuni" he said smiling widely.

"Oh yes thank for inviting me for the night and giving my family a place to stay until morning." I responded standing there awkwardly and sleepily.

"Perhaps you would like to join us your insight could help us plan" Tonowari said motioning to an empty spot beside Aonung.

"I don't think that is necessary or appropriate father" Aonung said giving me a disgusted glare "we are leaving in a mere few hours and she has yet to get any rest from her previous journey" he added redeeming himself from his previous statements.

"Very well, Aonung will help you get settled in for the evening and will retrieve you for the midnight ride" Tonowari said turning back around and continuing conversation with the warriors.

Aonung quickly stood up, pulling back a curtain entering the back of the mauri without another word. Still standing there confused, Tonowari gave me a sympathetic smile as he motioned for me to follow his son. Upon entering the back half I was met with a large sleeping area divided into three parts separated by curtains what I presumed to be their individuals room. I could hear Aonung rustling around in the last room as I approached it. Standing outside quietly for him to exit I could hear him mumbling things under his breath but couldn't quiet make out the words. After what felt like a lifetime of standing he finally exited the room still holding the curtain open.

"It seems I am responsible for you for the time being Eyuni" he said calling me by full name " do not get to comfortable in my room nor my clan as you and your family will be gone by sunrise" he said whispering the last part in my ear as he shoved me inside the room and let go of the curtains. I stood there shocked for a minute before silently busting into a fit of laughter. I had fought the RDA more times than he's touched water and he thinks intimidation is going to scare me. I calm myself down as I get comfortable on his bed and slip off into darkness.

After some time I hear rustling inside the room as someone has entered. Opening my eyes I see Aonung standing there looking everywhere but at me.

"Is it time to leave" I question still tired but starting to get up.

"No" he replies sternly "we have finished preparing for the ride and have been ordered to rest" H e says lowering his self onto the ground right beside me.

I look at him confused before offering his bed back to him "I have slept long enough if you would like your bed back" I say. We stare at each for a second longer before he rolls over forcing his back to face me. I silently roll onto my back staring at the ceiling before slipping back to sleep.