Chapter Six: 07.13.2023

*It's been a while, hasn't it? I was in S Africa for 3 weeks, and I wasn't allowed any devices. It's good to be back :D

"There is nothing I would not sacrifice to a practicable plan of abolishing every vestige of this moral and political depravity,"- Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper on slavery, September of 1814

---

When Solomon proposed that absolutely outrageous idea, Cassandra thought that Dalia agreed because of a mix of adrenaline and being half-asleep. Surely, that was the only reason why someone could have made such a reckless decision. She was looking forward to see how she grappled her way out of Solomon's delusional fantasy once she got a proper night's sleep.

Instead, she finds herself gaping at the sleek black car outside, with the short woman signing a final damage contract on the front. For a second, she thought it was her sleep-addled mind playing tricks on her. When Cassandra approached, she grinned, all teeth and gums. "Not bad, eh?"

Of course she's one of those people that have enough money to hire a car at a moment's notice. It's a massive car, and Cassandra can only wonder, in shock, if it's only to give Jefferson leg space.

The little woman snorts when she offhandedly mentions that to her as they check out the car in the parking lot. "That is, if I can even convince him to get in it- or any of them, for that matter. And why are you surprised? Don't all Americans have needlessly big cars?"

She shrugged, hiding her uneasiness. "Yeah, but this is a bit excessive."

"Well, I'm only ever going to be in the US once, so why not splurge? And there's a lot of us, including-" a tired wince, "-a very loud baby."

Thank God that Solomon's decent at caring for kids, and didn't trust Cassandra to be in any close vicinity of any of them. She was happy to leave all the crazies in the living room while she shared a room with Dalia. Though she's saying nothing, it's clear that she's relieved to be out of the house, same as Cassandra.

She never managed to ask the woman what the meeting was about yesterday, so Cassandra did so now as they checked the car. It wasn't anything interesting- they apparently just came to ask uncomfortable questions about how he's assimilating.

"But even if he is wearing a hoodie and jeans, it's fucking obvious he's not from... well, you know." She says, eyes gazing into the distance. After a moment, she shrugs. "I guess it would be too much to expect more than that."

She knew that look. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Cassandra let the silence sit, a dirty trick she learned from her mother. Eventually, Dalia spoke again. "It's just that, during the visit, Solomon was asked so many questions which he answered with blatant lies."

"Well, yeah, no shit."

"It's not that." Dalia bites her lip, unsure. After a moment, she just shakes her head. "Oh well, it doesn't matter. The car looks good, so let's get the guys in."

"Wait, we're going now?"

"Yep. We better get this field-trip over with and get Solomon proper help, before they come back to continue to- well, our privacy."

She runs a hand through her blonde curls and sighs sharply. In the morning sun, they glinted like sharp gold. Her words made Cassandra pause. "Isn't Solomon government property?"

"What he is, is his own person." Not exactly- his name is Irene, and he's been dead for a decade now- but she wasn't stupid enough to tell the peeved woman that. "But if they'd arrest me, they'd definitely do it for theft or something stupid like that."