Divine Revelation To Moses

Time passed, and Moses lived in seclusion, far from his family and his people for 10 years. These 10 years were his preparation time and was of importance in his life. He was immersed in the existence of Allah. Allah the Almighty prepared for His prophet the tools he would need later on to righteously bear the commands of Allah the Exalted.

One day after the end of this period, a vague homesickness arose in Moses's heart. He wanted to return to Egypt. Musa missed his country and his relatives, so he resolved to visit them in secret, without Fir'awn and his people knowing. So he gathered up his family and the flocks which his father-in-law had given to him, and set out on a cold, dark, rainy night. He lost his way and as it was too cold they stopped to camp. Whenever he tried to start a fire, he did not succeed. He was surprised by this, and while he was in this state, he saw a fire in the direction of mount. At-Tur.

He said to his family: "Wait, I have seen a fire. I will go there; perhaps I may find someone who can show me the direction or I may get a burning firebrand that you may warm yourselves and find relief from the cold. So when he reached it (the fire), he was called from the right side of the valley, from the side of the valley that adjoined the mountain on his right, to the west.

Allah says in the quraan;

And you were not on the western side, when We made clear to Musa the commandment (Quran:20:44)

This indicates that when Musa headed for the fire, he headed in the direction of the Qiblah with the western mountain on his right. He found the fire burning in a green bush on the side of the mountain adjoining the valley, and he stood there amazed at what he was seeing. Then his Lord called him: (from the right side of the valley, in the blessed place, from the tree.)

O Musa! Verily, I am Allah, the Lord of all that exits! (Quran:28:30)

And what is that in your right hand, O Musa'' He said: "This is my stick, whereon I lean, and wherewith I beat down branches for my sheep, and wherein I find other uses.'' (Quran:20:17-18)

"Cast it down, O Musa!'' He cast it down, and behold! It was a snake, moving quickly. (Quran: 20:19-20)

But when he saw it moving as if it were a snake, he turned in flight, and looked not back. (It was said:) "O Musa! Draw near, and fear not. Verily, you are of those who are secure.'' (Quran:28:31)

So, Moses came back to his original position.

Then Allah said:

Put your hand into the opening of your garment, it will come forth white without a disease;

( meaning, 'when you put your hand in your garment and then draw it out, it will be shining white as if it were a piece of the moon or a flash of lightning with no trace of leukoderma.)

and draw your hand close to your side to be free from the fear.

Musa was commanded, when he felt afraid of anything, to draw his hand close to his side to be free from the fear. If he did that, whatever fear he felt would be gone. Perhaps if a person does this, following the example of Musa, and puts his hand over his heart, his fear will disappear or be lessened, if Allah wills; in Allah we place our trust.

(Quran: 28:32)

These were two clear and definitive proofs of the power of Allah, given to Moses to be shown to Pharaoh. When Allah commanded Moses to go to Fir'awn, the one who he had run away from and whose vengeance he feared, Musa said;

He said: "My Lord! I have killed a man among them, and I fear that they will kill me.'' (Quran:28:33)

He also feared that his acquired defect of speech, would have an impact on the conveying of the message. He also asked Allah to grant him the support of his brother Harun (Aron) so as to give strength to his cause and confirm what he say and convey from Allah, because the word of two carries more weight in people's minds than the word of one.

"And loose the knot (the defect) from my tongue. That they understand my speech. And appoint for me a helper from my family, Harun, my brother. Increase my strength with him, And let him share my task.'') (Quran: 20:27-32)

The impediment in the speech of Moses (peace be upon him) was not a defect that he was born with. The most well-known view is that it is a defect resulting from an accident that happened in his childhood, as some mufassireen stated.

So, "[Moses] said, 'My Lord, fill my heart with courage and steadfastness

And ease for me my task

And untie the knot from my tongue

That they may understand my speech'" (Quran:20:25-28)

And Allah, may He be exalted, answered his prayer: "[Allah] said, 'You have been granted your request, O Moses'" [Taa-Haa 20:36].

Allah said: "We will strengthen your arm through your brother, and give you both power, so they shall not be able to harm you, with Our Ayat; you two as well as those who follow you, will be the victors.'' (Quran:28:35)

I would end this part of the story with the ayah from the Quran:

Verily, We will indeed make victorious Our Messengers and those who believe in this world's life) (Quran: 40:51)

Important: I recommend you all to read surah Taha,( surah:20 ) in Quran from verse 9 to 48. The whole incident of Moses getting his revelation is very well described in it.