4.

The team had now travelled down to Canberra for their second and final match against New Zealand again

The team had now travelled down to Canberra for their second and final match against New Zealand again. Throughout the day they had taken their match day walk, eaten their meals together and prepared for the game, feeling somewhat confident after their last win over the opposing team.  

Astrid was still on a buzz from the last game and the love she had been showered in from her teammates, coaches, parents and especially the fans. Making her debut and scoring a goal in the same game on home soil was something really special and Astrid never thought that she would be doing it so young. She was still only 17 and had accomplished so much.

She was in a really good mood and the team could tell. She usually had a fun, bubbly personality, constantly making jokes and pulling lighthearted pranks but today she just had an extra aura about her that instantly lightened the mood of everyone on the team. And they knew why. Not only had she been promised some minutes on the pitch this game, but tomorrow was her 18th birthday. Finally, the baby of the team was becoming an adult; legally at least. And she got to celebrate with her new family; her own unable to until she planned to go home for a little while, now that club season was over and the next camp wasn't until late June.

The rest of the day was spent in focus mode, making sure everyone was warm and ready for what could be another tough game.

The Matildas were off to a great start, taking possession of the ball and a good few attempts at scoring within the first 14 minutes before a corner from Steph and header from Sam secured their lead on the game. Only two minutes later and a great shot from the edge of the penalty box by Hayley, the ball just skimming past the goalie, had given them that extra leg up on New Zealand.

A shot from Sam had brought them up to 3-0 before New Zealand secured their first goal in the extra time before the whistle blew for halftime and the substitutes got themselves up to warm up in the break.

Astrid, Charli and Kyra found themselves chatting about Astrid's upcoming birthday while practising passes and shots at the goal.

"Guys it's not that big of a deal." Astrid spoke, taking a shot at the net with her right foot, surpassing Teagan's attempt to block it, sending it right in the back, a small smile at Teagan before turning to the girls with confused expressions on their faces.

"Not a big deal?" Charli used air quotes, stopping her small passes with Kyra. "First of all it's your first birthday with the team," She began counting her fingers as she walked closer to Astrid. "It's tomorrow," She counted a second finger.  "AND it's your 18th. What is wrong with you?" Charli was clearly more passionate about this than Astrid, gripping the younger girl's shoulder, trying to look stern but failing, letting out that signature smile.

"I'm with Charli." Kyra had stepped forward to the pair. Astrid bit her top lip, staying silent, contemplating Charli's reason.

"Ugh fine. I guess we could do something," Astrid finally gave in. "But!" She lifted a finger, Charli and Kyra grinning slightly. "Nothing crazy okay, everyone is about to go back to clubs so they probably want to relax." Astrid spoke, grunting softly as they engulfed her in a hug after sharing a sneaky smirk with one another.