Rings and Chase

The Transamerica building rose up in the heart of San Francisco's financial district. Tom was certain that from its pyramid shaped top, you could see everything from the mission District to the golden gate bridge out across the water. Angel looked out from the window to see the building standing in its place.

"So, this is it?" Sonic asked, staring at the building.

"That's it. That's your pyramid," Tom said.

Sonic was amazed. "Wow, look at that thing!"

"It must be where it has your rings," Angel said.

"What happens now?" Maddie asked. As soon as Maddie finishes her question, Sonic speeds away. "Oh! He's... gone."

"He runs faster than me," Angel said, completely awestrucked. For a few seconds, Sonic came back.

"No good. You need a special key to get to the roof," he panted.

"What now?" Angel wondered.

"Time for me to abuse the power entrusted to me," Tom added.

The prize had warped on a section of roof fenced off from the ledge, so the only way to get to it was by going inside. Angel suggested that placing Sonic in a duffle bag might work since he won't freak people out. Tom and Maddie walk to the reception desk, with Angel carrying the duffle bag. Tom and Maddie nod at each other and they approach the front desk.

"We got a jumper on the roof," Tom told them.

"You came all the way from Montana," said the receptionist.

"That's how serious it is."

"Okay," she said and Tom took the key.

"You just saved a life."

Soon, they wait for the elevator to be taken to the roof of the building. As they wait, a businessman and a businesswoman join them, also waiting.

"How much longer? I can't breathe in here! Hello? Anybody there?" Sonic called from inside the duffle bag,

A woman next to them turned her head. "Do you have your child in that bag?"

"No," Tom said. "I mean, yes, it's a child, but it's not mine."

"It's not your child?" she asked.

"Relax. I'm a cop, okay? Plus, he likes it there, don't you, buddy? "

The woman fled to the next floor.

They got off the top floor and climbed the stairway to the roof access. Sonic gagged his way out of the bag dramatically.

"Ugh! What were you keeping in this bag?" he cried, coughing.

"Sorry about that," Angel said as she pulled him right out. Sonic coughed and moaned, covering his snout. He didn't even like it here.

"What are we looking for?" Tom asked.

"This."

And there it was. The rings shone bright in the sun, and as Sonic walked toward them, he began to shimmer with blue energy, too. His nervousness was electric.

"It's the same ring I had on my finger," Angel gasped. He picked up the bag of rings and wrapped it around his shoulder. It was like a satchel.

"Okay. What happens now?" Maddie asked.

"Now, all I have to do is think of where I want the other end of the ring to appear, and I throw it," Sonic said.

Tom looked confused. "So, that's it? We did it?"