Chapter 9 - The Light at The End of The Tunnel

"You wanna make yourself go through the pain,
It's better to be held than holding on."

***

In a small studio during a free period, with Seokmin and Jihyun, Meilin took a moment to call her sister.

"Lin! Hi!" Yenling greeted cheerfully. "I haven't heard from you in ages, how've you been? Did something happen? Are you okay? Do you need me to visit?" Meilin laughed at her sister's rant, feeling better instantly.

"Like shit. The company set a dozen new rules, we have diets, extra classes, and we're under constant supervision. It's hell. We have no freedom, no say, and no energy to keep going. Even Soonyoung is running out of energy. We get punished too, for nothing at all. At first it was just scolding, but now they make us exercise for every single thing we do wrong. Ten pushups per KG we're above the goal weight they set for us." Meilin sighed, rubbing her temple. "They even got physical with me the other day. Though... I may or may not have provoked them myself."

Yenling gasped loudly. "Provoked or not, getting physical is still not allowed!" Yenling exclaimed, clearly thinking back to her stepfather.

Meilin smiled sadly as she stared at the floor. "I know, but I'd rather receive a kick to my stomach than have them hurt my friends."

"That's your problem, Lin. You don't care about yourself as long as the others are safe. You have to learn to think about yourself as well. Your health is important too." Yenling pleaded, but Meilin merely hummed, dismissing the idea.

She changed the subject quickly. "Anyway, Yen, the reason I called is not to complain about my company. I wanted to ask you what you want for your birthday. It's coming up soon and I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to call again soon." Meilin asked, leaning against the wall. She sent Seokmin a quick smile when he looked up in her direction.

"It's our birthday, stupid. I need ideas for you as well." Yenling laughed. Meilin smiled to herself when her sister once again reminded her of her worth. She had the tendency to forget about that sometimes.

"Nuh-uh, you first."

Yenling thought for a moment, before quietly answering, "to see my sister again?"

Meilin teared up at how small her voice sounded. "Oh, Yen, how I wish I could give you that present. I really do. But you know that it's not possible." Meilin said, her smile fading. "I miss you, Yen." She admitted. "I miss you so much, it's driving me insane. I've never spent a day without you, and now I haven't seen you in eight months. I really want to see you." Meilin teared up, choking on her words.

"I know, Lin. Me too. I miss you just as much, but I'm sure we'll find a way to see each other soon enough, okay? Don't think about it too much." Yenling comforted her sister. "In the mean time, what do you want for your birthday?"

"I don't know, honestly. I'd be happy with a blanket, or a second pillow. Maybe a hoodie, or a new coat? Anything that can keep me warm during the winter. Our blankets at the dorm aren't very thick." Meilin said, staring at the ceiling.

Yenling hummed softly. "Okay, I'll think of something. In the mean time, you take care of yourself, okay?"

"Yessir." Meilin joked, making Yenling laugh before she said goodbye and hung up. Meilin's eyes widened. "Shit!" She clasped her hand over her mouth, looking up at Jihyun.