A Familiar Foe

For tonight, everything included jumping on the couch, rolling in piles of plush dolls, makeover masks, skateboarding down the stairs and then stunt jumping over their wedding crystal. Sonic couldn't stop there. Total freedom wasn't total freedom if he couldn't run a riding mower through the house.

After the joyful shenanigans, he retired to a pool bubble bath with his favorite pink flamingo floatie [never too careful about drowning] and blasted EDM through expensive speakers. But he had to cut it short as a storm brewed. The dark skies and ominous thunder would've spooked even the bravest hero. Angel and Sonic decide to go back inside and settle down. Angel often was forced to take care of the house like washing the bubbles away and putting the dolls back in place.

While playing inside, the phone rang. Sonic and Angel quickly clean up the mess they made before they answered.

"Aloha! How's it going, bud?" Tom asked them from the phone.

"Oh, ya know. Just a quiet time at home," Sonic recalled. "Just settling in with a good book. And you? Wazzup with you?"

"Oh! Just called to say we're here. But now, every word in your mouth is making me suspicious."

Sonic's eyes went wide. "What?! You gotta relax, buddy! You're at the Four Seasons Oahu. Have a Mai Tai! Enjoy some time with your wife! Get sunburn somewhere embarrassing! This weekend is about you."

Angel waited for a response. "Ya know what? You're right. We power bumped on it. So whatever it is you're doing, I'm sure you can undo it by the time we get home, yeah? Yeah?"

"Exactly!" Sonic nodded. "I mean, I am deeply offended by such accusations! So, how's Rachel's fiancé? Is he as good looking as he was in his picture?"

"Somehow, better looking," he sighed.

"Wow! You're about to be the third best looking dude in the family!" the blue hedgehog chirped.

"Hahaha. All right, I better go introduce myself. Stay out of trouble."

"Trouble? Don't worry. Everything here is completely normal."

"Uh-huh. Later, bud."

And with that, they hang up. Angel let out a long sigh, relieved that they almost got busted.

In Hawaii, Tom and Maddie were staying at a hotel so they could see Rachel and her new boyfriend.

Tom then spots a strong serious man approaching him. "Hey! I was just coming to see you."

"You got a lot of nerve coming here after what you did to my fiancé!" the man growled, looking tough.

"W-w-what?"

"Totaling her car, leaving her tied to a chair. I should rip you limb from limb."

Tom stands there speechless, but he then starts to laugh. "Oh, my God! Look at your face!" he joked. "I was kidding!"

Tom hesitated. He knew that this man was just joking. "I'm sorry," the man apologized. "Rachel put me up to it. It was totally her idea. Listen, I don't know if you're aware... Rachel does not care for you at all."

"Oh, I'm aware," replied Tom.

That was when Rachel came. "Good to see you. Thanks for coming, Tom," she said. "Really glad you came!"

"Really?" Tom pondered. "Well, great! Great to see you too. Congratulations. You guys seem really happy together."

"Ya know, you're alright, Thomas Wachowski," Rachel said. "Can we bury the hatchet?"

"I'd love that."

"All right, bring it in!" Rachel said before she gave him a warning look. "And if you screw up my wedding, I will end you."

The storm bellowed and boomed louder outside until even Sonic had to turn up the volume to push it out. Angel had her Pjs on and held a bowl of popcorn. It was late, and maybe a little movie time won't hurt them much.

"All right, Ozzie," Sonic announced. "It's movie night at Casa del Sonic and you're picking."

"But I am not watching Snow Dogs again," Angel protested. "That movie is the wo-o-o-oooorst!"

A familiar electric crackling pierced the thunder, and the lights throughout the house went out. Angel gasped in fright.

"Ohoho! Blackout!" Sonic cheered. To him, this was merely the perfect opportunity for spooky story horror. Pulling his blanket overhead and snapping on a flashlight, Sonic settled down for a few campfire tales but Angel didn't like it.

"You know I hate scary stories!" she peeped. "I remember that the last time before I met you, the blackout already happened."

"Everything's okay," Sonic assured her.

Then it happened. The TV snapped to life, drowning the room in gray light and loud static. Sonic and Angel wondered what was going on before the lights flickered. In a blink, static appeared.

The doorbell rang, and Sonic turned his head forward slowly. Panic had slowed him down to a half. "Um, excuse me? We did not order a poltergeist..." Angel proclaimed, a little scared.

This was some sort of prank they thought or perhaps someone was messing the antenna outside. Sonic sprinted to the dorm, shaking his nerves as he grabbed the handle. "If this is the pizza guy, this is really unprofessional."

They opened it, and there, standing at the doorway was Robotnik.

"Eggman?" they gasped. Robotnik was back. But how?

"Hello, hedgehog. Did you miss me?" Robotnik sneered. He looked different than before, warped and wild. His hair was shaved bald and his mustache was outgrown. His eyes have dark circles over his eyes and his skin was sunburnt. Most of his flight suit was covered with smudges and dirt which smelled horrible. Angel thought she saw small cringes running down his face. He has gotten older.

"I don't know how you got back, but you made a big mistake coming here," Sonic shook his head in disbelief.

"Oh, contraire mon frere!" he glared. "The mistake was thinking that you've won. But that was just a prelude, an d'oeuvre, an aperitif, an Amuse-bouche–"

"I get it!" Angel shouted.

"I don't think you do. But you will. And so will that idiot sheriff and his wife. And your little girl, too!"

Fed up, Sonic and Angel charged at Robotnik. But a split second, before they could smash in the villain's face, a gloved fist careened out of the corner of their eyes and sent them flying. They scrambled up from the wreckage of the coffee table that broke their fall. As the two looked up, Sonic saw something he never thought he'd see again....

An echidna.