If They Could See The Future Back When Times Were Simple

A/N This series is pretty canon divergent, but it keeps a lot of the plot points from the original three shows. (The plotline with Cade and hell never happened.) The Triad are the main threat to the supernatural community, but Malivore doesn't exist (It will all make sense, but you'll have to wait in suspense.)

Changes made to the original story will be slowly revealed as the story progresses.

The Title for the fic is a lyric from the song Trainwreck

Caroline never expected to be friends with Kol Mikaelson. Maybe she still wasn't. It's hard to be friends with someone when all you can think of is survival. Every day for the past three years, Caroline Forbes, Bonnie Bennett, and Kol Mikaelson have worked tirelessly to ensure the survival of the supernatural community.

They were on the run for the first year or so, constantly looking over their shoulders. Caroline and Bonnie hadn't planned to stick with Kol when they met up at the airport in Atlanta, but they knew they'd find safety in numbers. Bonnie and Caroline were running from the Triad. Everyone they loved was gone, and they were all each other had left. Then they ran into Kol. Kol Mikaelson was on the run too. He knew he needed to get the hell outta dodge before the Triad set their sights on killing the last Original. Kol was a creature of adaptability and change, but he'd never felt so truly alone. Despite his history with the Bennett with and Caroline Forbes, he knew that they could help him achieve his goals.

It was hard in those first few months. Compelled hotel rooms and barrier spells were the best the three could do with what they had. Kol got in touch with a coven he used to run with and cashed in a final favor. They spent the next two years in a safehouse in Bolivia. Every single day they searched for a way to solve their problems and keep themselves alive. There was no room for distrust, but Kol still managed to keep secrets without their entire operation falling apart. It was early August and they were running out of time. Hundreds of enchantments and wards wouldn't keep their enemies away for much longer. Kol had finally told the girls what he'd come up with just a month before. The three supernaturals spent nearly thirty days and thirty nights gathering the materials and collecting the ingredients. Bonnie was more than skeptical, but they had exhausted every other option. She had long since given up hope, but she was willing to try Kol's Hail Mary bullshit. Caroline had faith. She knew to never underestimate a Mikaelson.

Kol had formed a complex amalgamation of different rituals and spells to create his own. He would describe it best as very dark magic fueled by the most pure of intentions.

Bonnie sat in a circle of salt on the floor. Runes had been carved into the old wooden floorboards in languages older than Silas himself. Dark objects and various other items were contained in their own circles around the room. Kol sat behind Bonnie, his hands in hers. She chanted steadily. In front of her sat Caroline. Runes and sigils were marked on Caroline's skin in witch's blood. The process was complicated, but the idea was simple enough.

Bonnie would channel Kol in order to send Caroline back in time.

It was obviously incredibly painful and magically draining. Not to mention the terrible things they'd had to do to obtain what they needed. The worst part though, was that they were shooting in the dark. This spell was nothing more than a well thought out experiment by Kol. He wanted to save his family, but Bonnie only had the power to try and send one of them back. Since she had to channel Kol for enough energy to attempt a spell that difficult, Caroline was the subject, their saving grace.

Bonnie's chanting grew louder, and wind blew through the room. Blood started to drip from her nose before it started to flow from her eyes and ears. Caroline doubled over in pain. It felt like needles had pierced every inch of her skin and started drawing out her soul like blood. The last thing she saw and heard was every window in the house shattering.

Darkness overtook her

Caroline sat up. It felt like someone had ran her over with a monster truck and then ripped her teeth out with pliers. Her bed was more comfortable than she remembered it being. Maybe Bonnie or Kol had bought new bedding.

Bonnie... Kol...

The plan. The spell-

It worked! Or she was dead.

Unless the afterlife looked like her childhood bedroom, then she appeared to be in the right place. She just needed to figure out when in her timeline she ended up.

Chapter title from the song ...Well, Better Than the Alternative by Will Wood