Chapter 17

They lay side by side, their backs resting on top of the soft blanket as they watch the sky darken.

She said yes.

She wants to marry him.

He hasn't stopped smiling since he put the ring on her finger. He'd be lying if he said that he wasn't nervous about whether she'd say yes.

He knows that she loves him; that much he knew for certain. But marriage? That's huge. A part of him was afraid that this would be too much for her. That it was too soon. The reality of being tied to one person for the rest of their lives can be too much for some people. A long term commitment like that can be daunting.

But she said yes.

"—is called Scorpius. And that one right there, the one with three large stars is called Orion...are you listening, Kyo?" She says as she pokes his side.

He's sucked back to the present. "Mmh?" He says, accidently admitting that he was, in fact, not listening.

She giggles as she shakes her head at him. "I was explaining the constellations. That's alright, it's boring stuff anyway." She says lightheartedly.

He frowns slightly, "No, it's not. It's quite interesting, actually. I was just...thinking."

She shifts onto her side, resting on her elbow as she looks at him. "What were you thinking about?" She asks curiously. The stars shine brightly overhead, the soft glow of the moon bathes her in silver moonlight.

Beautiful.

He shifts his eyes back to the stars. "It's ridiculous, now that I think about it." He murmurs.

She reaches out to touch his face. Her fingertips graze lightly over his cheek, giving him goosebumps. "I'd like to hear it." She says.

He turns his eyes back to her as he thinks of how to put his previous thoughts into words. "I was worried you were going to say no."

"You're right, that is completely ridiculous." She laughs. If he could bottle the sound and get drunk on it every night, he would. He laughs along with her, his stomach fluttering with butterflies. Their giggling dies down and her expression grows soft, but serious. She brushes a stray hair from his face as she says, "When I'm with you, I feel at home. I'll never wish to be parted from you."

His heart swells at her words.

"You really mean it?" He asks.

"I do." She whispers. She smiles at him before she decides to sit up. Her attention turns to the waterfall, the rhythmic rumble of the falling water could lull you to sleep. She stands and starts unbuttoning her shirt.

"What are you doing?" He says as he sits up, surprised at her undressing.

She walks towards the waterline, tossing her sword and her clothes aside. She looks over her shoulder at him, her nude form glowing in the moonlight like she was a holy deity. "Going for a swim." She says. Turning back forward, she dips her toes in the water, gauging its temperature.

He can't look away.

She slowly walks forward, the water rising up her body with every step she takes. Up her calves, her waist, then her shoulders. Her head dips below the surface, disappearing from view. She pops back up a few seconds later, farther away. She turns to look at him and giggles as she takes in his blushing expression, who's completely hypnotized by her.

"The water is nice; swim with me!" She says, her smooth voice easily carrying over the glittering surface.

He doesn't have to be told twice. Quickly, he starts to undress, tossing his belongings aside as he walks towards the water. Normally, he might be more hesitant about stripping naked and being out in the open, but his lover is waiting for him. His beautiful fiancé.