Chapter 33

Stormstar's POV:

Stormstar swiped at Rabbitstar but the brown tom ducked and kicked Stormstar's paws from under him. He fell on his stomach and immediately Rabbitstar was latched onto his back, clawing at his flesh. Stormstar yowled and tore himself away from Rabbitstar, only to fall into the claws of Secretbee.

The Magiclan deputy slashed at Stormstar's flank, giving him deep claw wounds. Stormstar hissed and ignited his paws on fire and swiped at Secretbee. The light furred tom backed away, giving Stormstar time to twist around and attack Rabbitstar, who had been pacing behind him.

Stormstar dug his claws into Rabbitstar's shoulder and bite into the leader's ear. Secretbee came to his leader's aid and dragged Stormstar off Rabbitstar.

Stormstar twisted around and lashed out at Secretbee but the deputy dodged and sank his teeth into Stormstar's hind leg. His sharp fangs dug into his skin and hit the bone. Stormstar screeched and kicked Secretbee away.

As Rabbitstar lunged for Stormstar, the black tom ducked and turned his whole pelt on fire. He had never tried this trick, and he didn't know if it worked. Luckily, it did seem to work, and both Secretbee and Rabbitstar leapt away with yowls of pain.

With his pelt on fire, no one could touch him without being burned. But the problem was that the more he kept the fire going, the weaker he became. Stormstar's eyelids grew heavy and he found himself stumbling. If he kept the fire ignited, he'd end up collapsing.

Stormstar eyed Rabbitstar and Secretbee nervously. He could see the fire on his fur from the edges of his vision. The fire licked at the edges of his eyes but there was no pain. Stormstar took a deep breath before turning off the fire. His pelt became its normal black again and he let out a battle shriek, lunging for Rabbitstar.

Rabbitstar hissed and reared up to meet Stormstar with his unsheathed claws. Stormstar crashed into him and the two leaders rolled on the ground, fighting to gain the upper-paw.

They tumbled for a short while and Stormstar was just about to throw a strong blow to Rabbitstar's neck when Secretbee sank his claws into Stormstar's haunches. He tugged at Stormstar's fur and dragged him off Rabbitstar. As Stormstar turned to fight off Secretbee, Rabbitstar pounced on Stormstar and pinned him down. Stormstar writhed under the heavy brown tom but Rabbitstar wouldn't budge. A crazed glint in the older tom's eyes told Stormstar that Rabbitstar had no idea what he was doing, he was being led by greed and power.

"Rabbitstar, this is madness! Call off your warriors and we'll settle a truce!" Stormstar tried to reason with him but gasped as Rabbitstar lay his claws on Stormstar's throat. Secretbee paced behind Rabbitstar with an evil grin on his face.

"Truce? Hah!" Rabbitstar laughed, "You missed your chance for a truce long ago!" He pushed down on Stormstar's throat, cutting off his air supply. "Oh, it's going to be so fun to watch you die nine times!"

Eight times. Stormstar silently corrected as he lay calmly beneath Rabbitstar. He knew he was going to lose a life. He felt his lungs burning for air and his body fought to try and push Rabbitstar off. But Stormstar was not going to give Rabbitstar the satisfaction of seeing Stormstar struggle and beg.

Small black spots began dotting Stormstar's vision. He felt his heartbeat slow dramatically. His eyes grew droopy. Just as Stormstar's eyes closed, he saw something big and grey knock Rabbitstar away. But it was too late, darkness took over and Stormstar felt himself slip into the cold world of death.

____________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

Nutwhisker stood guard by the medicine den entrance with Watersplash at his side. He was glad that the Monsterclan and Magiclan cats hadn't completely lost the plot. Mainly, they stayed out of the medicine den, knowing that it would be against the warrior code to try and kill a sick or weak cat.